Beth Israel West Campus Inpatient Building | 111 Francis St | Longwood

Apologies if I am asking a dumb question, but I thought slurry rigs were used when the underlying soil was a lot of muck vs straight to bedrock. Am I wrong or is this area a lot of muck / fill before you hit bedrock?
Czervik -- this is the Back Bay Fens --for quite a ways down -- it's river mud deposited that's been deposited for centuries
Under that are deep Glacial deposits, marine clay and then finally
bed rock
I'm guessing the bed rock is similar to what was found at the Pru and 1 Dalton -- way way down [100's of feet]

On a personal level, I have nothing but love for Beth Isreal. I was born there. Anyway after decades away I find myself in the area again... Just as a discussion starter, the parking garage on the left there, could that be residential? I really think that that would be a very fine addition at that location, and in addition to the eventual redevelopement of the Lowry Building would go a long way to turning this corner of the Fens back into a place for people.

Just as a discussion starter, the parking garage on the left there, could that be residential? I really think that that would be a very fine addition at that location, and in addition to the eventual redevelopement of the Lowry Building would go a long way to turning this corner of the Fens back into a place for people.

I have a really hard time imagining new residential in the LMA across the street from a hospital, power plant, and parking garage. Residential just isn't best use for the LMA in general and for that location in particular. It would be better put to use as a lab, clinical, or even administrative building. Or just keep it as a parking garage, which are kind of a necessary evil in that area.

I have a really hard time imagining new residential in the LMA across the street from a hospital, power plant, and parking garage. Residential just isn't best use for the LMA in general and for that location in particular. It would be better put to use as a lab, clinical, or even administrative building. Or just keep it as a parking garage, which are kind of a necessary evil in that area.
It is also sort of across the street from Riverway MOSIAC, and could be oriented towards the Muddy River. Coming into the LMA from Brookline, I certainly got the feeling that that corner had the potential for a pretty striking residential building. There has been ongoing discussions regarding the residential compound of the LMA on Arch., and spot struck me as having real potential. People do like living next to parks with streams in them.

Last edited:

Also, that might be the greatest parking garage in Boston--I love that skin, the shape, and the way it gets covered with ivy.

D7E098DA-B7AB-4D99-A25B-B4489A4B543B.jpeg
DCEA556C-8A58-483C-8963-D49521F2CDE7.jpeg
273B9D25-8A0B-4883-A489-97F688E4E0B1.jpeg

9/24/20 - I was surprised to see two Cornell luffer's first time I passed by the site post-crane installation. Now I see why, there's some massive picks on some of the steel structure for this project.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

Back