Beverly Developments

Beverly Planning Board Approves Multifamily Project ‘Amara’

Amara.png

“BEVERLY, MA– The Procopio Companies, a fourth-generation, full-service real estate development and construction management firm, announced that Amara, the firm’s mixed-use development planned for 26, 28, 28R Cabot St and 4-6, 8 Rantoul Street in Beverly, MA, is now underway, after receiving approval from the Beverly Planning Board in December of 2022.

The five-story multifamily building will feature a mix of 60 studio, one- and two-bedroom units, as well as a garage and adjacent surface parking and views of Beverly Harbor. Amara will have easy access to waterfront paths, local beaches, downtown Beverly, and the city’s MBTA commuter rail train station at Beverly Depot. 5 units will be designated as affordable.”

https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/beverly-planning-board-approves-multifamily-project-amara/

Love the balconies!

Interesting read! Honestly, going from a 7-story limit to a 5-story one (while certainly regressive) doesn’t seem like the end of the world. Let’s all be thankful that Mr. Three Story Everywhere didn’t get his way.

I still find it repulsive.

All these projects have ADDED to the city. Provided modern housing, provided a younger demographic attractive places to live, provided ample ground for a pedestrian friendly buisness area to grow and flourish. And made a dumpy looking part of town look somewhat nice.

The newest development which is just about done is the best of them all. It’s beautiful and adds so much to the area.

I think even reducing the height from 7 to 5 is a terrible choice. There are areas where I think 7 stories would be perfectly legitimate.

I’ve never seen a city more annoyed at its own success. It’s schools are doing great, it’s buisness are doing great, downtown is growing, And yet people bitch, WTF?!?….

If these projects were taking place in Ryal Side or Centerville or even the farms then okay that’s a fair discussion. But Downtown and by the waterfront is where you are supposed to have car traffic, pedestrian traffic, bars open late, tall buildings with trains rumbling by.

I’d like to see more developments like these down where Cabot & Rantoul meet near the water, right along the water, in and around the anchor. With continued growth down Rantoul st. I think the one thing missing is a major establishment that brings in HEAVY foot traffic.

I still find it repulsive.

All these projects have ADDED to the city. Provided modern housing, provided a younger demographic attractive places to live, provided ample ground for a pedestrian friendly buisness area to grow and flourish. And made a dumpy looking part of town look somewhat nice.

The newest development which is just about done is the best of them all. It’s beautiful and adds so much to the area.

I think even reducing the height from 7 to 5 is a terrible choice. There are areas where I think 7 stories would be perfectly legitimate.

I’ve never seen a city more annoyed at its own success. It’s schools are doing great, it’s buisness are doing great, downtown is growing, And yet people bitch, WTF?!?….

If these projects were taking place in Ryal Side or Centerville or even the farms then okay that’s a fair discussion. But Downtown and by the waterfront is where you are supposed to have car traffic, pedestrian traffic, bars open late, tall buildings with trains rumbling by.

I’d like to see more developments like these down where Cabot & Rantoul meet near the water, right along the water, in and around the anchor. With continued growth down Rantoul st. I think the one thing missing is a major establishment that brings in HEAVY foot traffic.
I live in Beverly. The biggest political issue is that the bridge going to downtown was condemned and will be out of commission for a few years.

5 story by right zoning is still better than most other suburbs in the Boston area though. Probably the bigger loss is the 4 story limit along Cabot, makes redevelopment a bit less likely there

There hasn't been a 7 story building built recently in downtown, believe only the depot square, 211 Rantoul and 110 Rantoul are 6 stories.

From a development perspective, Beverly is really promising and a bit frustrating at the same time. The geography of the Downtown area is really interesting - basically set on a penninsula surrounded by the Atlantic and Bass River with urban-ish densities and Downtown Salem less than 2 miles away. There is a decent amount of waterfront park space, at least along the Atlantic side, and with higher elevations it makes for some sweeping water views. I've read that the Beverly MBTA station is the third busiest in the system and most of the recent redevelopment is occurring around that on Rantoul Street, a formerly industrial area that is rapidly changing. Cabot Street is the more traditional Downtown street, and historically with less grit, but seems a bit sleepy and is not getting as much redevelopment interest (which is unlikely to change in the short-term with the new height restrictions).

The area between the Bass River and the rail line is kind of a mess of surface lots and old industrial buildings. I don't think the existing zoning really provides for true mixed-use redevelopment, but it seems to be crying out for it

These are photos of the most recent redevelopment on Rantoul Street - the Block on Odell Park - which should be opening this month and the surrounding redevelopments --

20230706_173947.jpg
20230706_173835.jpg
20230706_180106.jpg
20230706_175945.jpg
20230706_175217.jpg
20230706_173301.jpg
20230706_173630.jpg
20230706_173552.jpg
20230706_173231.jpg
20230706_174201.jpg
20230706_174627.jpg
20230706_175503.jpg

There's still loads of redevelopment potentail, including some prime waterfront land next to the commuter rail station --

20230706_175547.jpg
20230706_174306.jpg
20230706_173642.jpg

The area between the Bass River and the rail line is kind of a mess of surface lots and old industrial buildings. I don't think the existing zoning really provides for true mixed-use redevelopment, but it seems to be crying out for it

Zoning board does plan to rezone that area. A developer bought the old bowling alley and a few buildings on that block and it's sitting empty waiting for the rezoning.

According to the mayor the rezoning is on hold until the Hall-Whitaker replacement bridge starts construction. It's the main throughfare from that part of Beverly to 128S 95 and Danvers, and is currently rerouted to 62.

From a development perspective, Beverly is really promising and a bit frustrating at the same time. The geography of the Downtown area is really interesting - basically set on a penninsula surrounded by the Atlantic and Bass River with urban-ish densities and Downtown Salem less than 2 miles away. There is a decent amount of waterfront park space, at least along the Atlantic side, and with higher elevations it makes for some sweeping water views. I've read that the Beverly MBTA station is the third busiest in the system and most of the recent redevelopment is occurring around that on Rantoul Street, a formerly industrial area that is rapidly changing. Cabot Street is the more traditional Downtown street, and historically with less grit, but seems a bit sleepy and is not getting as much redevelopment interest (which is unlikely to change in the short-term with the new height restrictions).

These are photos of the most recent redevelopment on Rantoul Street - the Block on Odell Park - which should be opening this month and the surrounding redevelopments --

View attachment 39972View attachment 39973View attachment 39974View attachment 39975View attachment 39976View attachment 39977View attachment 39978View attachment 39979View attachment 39980View attachment 39981View attachment 39982View attachment 39983

There's still loads of redevelopment potentail, including some prime waterfront land next to the commuter rail station --

View attachment 39984View attachment 39985View attachment 39986

The little green building is a nice touch.

Reactions: FK4
As of 8/20/23: Looks like 3 of the 4 commercial spaces have been taken. One being a new brew pub. That will mean there will be 4 brewery taprooms and 1 brew pub within a quarter mile walk from the Beverly Depot. Now that's what I call TOD development.

Attachments

• IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
How the neighbors can get up in arms over stuff like this is mind blowing. Theyve literally made the downtown wayy more dynamic and vibrant, and there was still a backlash to cut back allowable floor heights in response. Luckily it wasnt too crazy, but still. Seeing how successful these developments are should have the opposite effect in people and make them want more. Old habits die extremely hard.

As of 8/20/23: Looks like 3 of the 4 commercial spaces have been taken. One being a new brew pub. That will mean there will be 4 brewery taprooms and 1 brew pub within a quarter mile walk from the Beverly Depot. Now that's what I call TOD development.

The Beverly Beer Mile is a beer lover's dream.

Interesting blog that I check out every once in a while. This blogger walks around and maps out downtown Beverly. In my opinion, it shows that Beverly still has plenty of downtown to develop; but on the other hand when you read what the blogger finds out about the history of these places, including recent history, I can see there are stories behind every building . Stories locals want to keep the memory of (especially the bar with the name of a local that had passed away), and that is probably what they don't want to have lost to development. There has to be a common ground. People want their history to be remembered.

Beverly

Last edited:
Had a chance to walk around the neighborhood and check out the changes. Some are new and others are recent, but not posted.
First we have the Sedna complex which replaces a super fund industrial site on the harbor.
Second we have the Mission Boathouse which replaces the old MacDonalds which was in litigation for decades.
Third we have the new Amara project which has completed demo and is well into site prep and foundation work.
Forth we have wandered north, on Cabot, towards the center of town where you can see the addition of a forth floor on the YMCA.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1288.JPG
    IMG_1288.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 36
Had a chance to walk around the neighborhood and check out the changes. Some are new and others are recent, but not posted.
First we have the Sedna complex which replaces a super fund industrial site on the harbor.
Second we have the Mission Boathouse which replaces the old MacDonalds which was in litigation for decades.
Third we have the new Amara project which has completed demo and is well into site prep and foundation work.
Forth we have wandered north, on Cabot, towards the center of town where you can see the addition of a forth floor on the YMCA.
So many "high rises" scattered all over town. Think of the children. [Clutch pearls.] Think of the traffic. If only we had two rail lines with five different stations to help with all of this. Oh wait?

Back