10 World Trade | BGI Office Tower (Massport Parcel A2) | Seaport

Woah, this is my first time seeing this project. I like how expressive it is for its scale. Very aggressive urban design gestures (in a positive way), and the facade work is clean enough.

It's plagued by the typical Seaport squatness and would look 100x better if it were 2.5x taller.
Sasaki does good work.

BCDC:

I'm not sure I'm buying the dead-end covered concrete plaza concept on the ground level, but the connection to WTC Ave from Congress (requested by the Commission) is an upgrade and makes the real park level not pointless. Lots of good renders in here.

Wow this is extremely high quality and engaging. The auditorium is a great addition for the neighborhood, the park looks great and serves a needed function of linking the upper and lower seaport, the building is unique, bold, and high quality. This just moved into the upper echelon of seaport buildings.

I don't know if they've solved the street frontage issues, but I respect the effort taken to resolve it so creatively. I'm gonna reserve judgement. (Hopefully, not VE'd to death.) Who knows? Maybe they're on to something?

What are the odds of this getting financed?
Generally in the mid-term and with a major lease in place, good. In the short term on spec without a tenant. and as designed, nonexistent.

I agree with Bananarama that the loss of the corner arches is a major hit. Nice to see there will be some lighting at night, though.

The changes to the park whereas now it will bring a direct connection from WTC ave to Congress st is huge too. The “upper/lower” seaport district (Summer st -> Congress st/Seaport Blvd) has only a couple connections between streets as of now, with a couple recently added or u/c, but this brings yet another needed connection directly to the BCEC. Parcel N and P in a year will follow suit as well, with the most important and direct pedestrian connection being built and also delivering a direct connection to South Station.

I love how the railings also echo Northeasterns new ped bridge over the OL trench with the matte bronze color metal. This is nice because it looks great, will look better with time, and brings continuity to new build pedestrian bridges in the city. This looks absolutely great and also brings needed accessability to the location. Its things like this that make neighborhoods interesting, unique, and nice places to be.

Finally this takes an absolutely useless plot of pavement with on/off ramps on 3/4 sides, a concave triangular shape, and only a tiny part of the tip of this useless triangle facing the street. This is literally as crappy a shape as far as buildings go as possible with absolutely no room to fit an entrance and any retail whatsoever. The engineers are taking this useless triangle and actually turning it into an integral piece of infrastructure, a nice place to walk, as well as a nice new park. Bravo! 👏🏼👏🏼

Last edited:
I really hope they calculated where the reflections are going to go, because that looks like it could create one hell of a solar death ray.

I really hope they calculated where the reflections are going to go, because that looks like it could create one hell of a solar death ray.
Looks that way. I really hope they have a tenant for this, or pre-covid financing in place, would be great to see this built and fill in that hole!

Floors 1-2/Great Hall stay the same, 3-9 change over to lab, and 10-16 stay office, 17 is mechanical and amenities.

Floors 1-2/Great Hall stay the same, 3-9 change over to lab, and 10-16 stay office, 17 is mechanical and amenities.

So, really 1/2 the building's office floors have been changed to lab (with the 18th floor now gone, but the building has the same height because of the higher ceilings on 3-9).

Let's roll - - I can't wait for this one to exist!

Back