10 World Trade | BGI Office Tower (Massport Parcel A2) | Seaport

Looks that way. I really hope they have a tenant for this, or pre-covid financing in place, would be great to see this built and fill in that hole!
I think they must have a lead tenant to warrant changing half the floors to lab. I'm unaware of a building in Kendall that mixed this much lab space with office space, and where there were multiple tenants.

Would be great to see this one get built and fill in that hole. What are the odds of this getting financed, with or without a major tenant?

I'd say high, considering the land acquisition and design and permitting costs already put into this. There was speculation upthread about a potential tenant as indicated by half of the office switching over to lab space.

The elevated park might actually get some visitors now that it's separated from the highway median level.

1609859677175.png

And this is the first time I've seen the penthouse level used as an indoor Track amenity around the mechanicals. I like the use of space - 300 meters is a sizable track with clear views throughout - I wonder if its a tenant requested feature?

1609859599333.png

And this is the first time I've seen the penthouse level used as an indoor Track amenity around the mechanicals. I like the use of space - 300 meters is a sizable track with clear views throughout - I wonder if its a tenant requested feature?

View attachment 9238
That is fantastic. You can't really use a ~15 ft wide band around the outside of the mechanicals for anything else, but it's perfect for a track!

Would be even better (albeit likely not as long, due to a smaller footprint) in a residential building.

The employee gym looks fantastic.

I love it when a really great space, like a penthouse level, is used for the whole building and not dedicated to private offices. Genzyme in Cambridge is my favorite example, with its top floor cafeteria.

I agree. I would LOVE to see more buildings open up or otherwise exploit those top floors. There are too many buildings that offer nothing but a glass wall and a security desk that turns you back outside. It used to be so much easier to engage with architecture before 9/11 and now we are always locked outside. Many of these buildings turn the back on the street, let's open them up.

A lot of downtown streets might really be enlivened with towers that follow a tripartite scheme functionally that promotes more public use. I don't mean this in terms of architectural design (although I love Louis Sullivan), but the three elements of a column provide a good map for the an exciting mix of public and private functions.
  • Base. The first floor or several of the bottom floors contain varying amounts of convenient public access or engagement, be it retail, welcoming public atriums or multi-service throughways like in the Park Square Building.
  • Shaft. The majority of the central floors are private space as they are now. Be it residential, hotel rooms, traditional offices, etc.
  • Capital. Public or semi-public space. Destination spaces that draw people into up to the roof. Open-to-the-public rooftop bars and restaurants, of course - Boston needs 50 of these now! - but also corporate gyms and cafeterias that might be limited to those who work in the building or pay membership. Observatories, maybe, in a handful of the finest buildings. I'd love to go to a rooftop branch of the BPL that a developer built in exchange for 100 ft of height.
I was a foot messenger in the 80s and the only building I remember that made you sign in and take a badge was 200 Clarendon itself - otherwise security was on a floor-by-floor or office-by-office basis. You could take the elevator and look around, and I did. On rainy days, you could move for blocks by entering the front door of an office building, enjoying the lobby, passing out the back door, crossing the street and doing it all over again. It was much easier to pop in, explore, really delight in the city.

Hynes said it’s close to signing a new financial backer for the roughly $500 million project and aims to start construction in late 2021 or early 2022.

“We won’t be surprised if it’s pre-leased” before construction, he said. “But we’re also prepared to start work [without a tenant].”

The "triangle open space" underneath the bridge seems as though it is the type of space where one would go to (a) get mugged, or (b) inhale exhaust fumes. Why don't they just turn it into an interior space? It could be a café called "Bottom of the Haul Road", or something along those lines.

The "triangle open space" underneath the bridge seems as though it is the type of space where one would go to (a) get mugged, or (b) inhale exhaust fumes. Why don't they just turn it into an interior space? It could be a café called "Bottom of the Haul Road", or something along those lines.
a_tortoise -- that's an interesting idea
of course going from an open space -- probably best used from May through November into a year round conditioned space requires a lot of technical issue to be addressed

Back