Big Dig Tunnel Collapse

briv

Reaction score
From the Herald:

Hub tunnel collapse horror: Debris kills woman
By Michele McPhee and O?Ryan Johnson
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - Updated: 12:26 PM EST

A 10-by-30-foot section of concrete plummeted from the ceiling of a Mass Pike connector tunnel onto the roof of a Honda sedan last night, killing a woman riding in the passenger seat but leaving the male driver ?virtually unharmed,? a state trooper at the scene said.
?It was massive,? the trooper said of the concrete slab that fell about 11 p.m.
The startling collapse forced the state troopers to immediately close the tunnel lest more concrete rain down on drivers.
?The eastbound side has been closed until the Mass Pike can verify the safety of the tunnel,? said state trooper Kara England.
State troopers assigned to the tunnel began receiving calls about 11 p.m. that debris had fallen from the tunnel roof and struck a vehicle. England said the roadway is a ?connector tunnel? that runs between the eastbound Massachusetts Turnpike and South Boston.
Boston EMS Lt. Chris Stratton said his crews took one person, identified by a trooper at the scene as a male driver, to Massachusetts General Hospital with minor injuries. Stratton said the woman had been trapped under debris and was declared dead at the scene. He said firefighters were working last night to free her body, which he would be turned over to the Medical Examiner.
EMS and fire crews were both staged at safe locations away from where the debris collapsed until engineers declared the tunnel was safe enough for them to enter.
A state trooper who saw the wreckage said it appeared the concrete fell at an angle as the car passed beneath it, crushing the vehicle, with most of the rubble landing on the passenger side. The driver?s side was partially shielded when the falling slab struck a raised gated walkway that runs the length of the tunnel, giving the driver a small pocket of protection.
?The car was completely crushed. That kind of weight would have crushed a Hummer - it?s amazing that guy got out alive,? said a second trooper who saw the debris field.
He said the 10-by-30 section that dropped was only half of the slab in that section of the tunnel. He said it appeared that iron securing the slab to the tunnel roof gave way. He said Modern Continental work crews had been in that section of the tunnel in recent weeks but he did not know what sort of work they were doing.
The Massachusetts Turnpike did not return two calls placed to their representatives? cell phones or to three pages sent to them. They staged an early morning press conference that happened after press time.
The spot appeared to be a ticking time bomb, said a trooper who was thankful the collapse didn?t happen during rush hour.
?Its unbelievable that only one car was hit,? he said. ?If more than one car was down there it would have been a disaster.?

I heard about that this morning. Very sad...and scary.

I think they should be placed in the transit thread since it isn't really New Development.

Regardless, I am very frustrated with the tunnel. It's almost commonplace to hear some accident that involves the Big Dig tunnel that it no longer surprises me. Traffic is also backed up now and getting to work has been a headache. Can't wait for the lawsuit because they deserve to pay for such crappy work.

We could use his bloated salary to pay for some real safety inspections. Amorello is too political at this point. Why do you think his name is plastered all over every piece of Turnpike property?

This guy is all about image and will do anything to make himself look good - even if that means covering up or hiding potential flaws with the Big Dig.

I am not blaming him for this latest failure, I am just saying remove him so we can get some real answers.

ZenZen said:
We could use his bloated salary to pay for some real safety inspections. Amorello is too political at this point. Why do you think his name is plastered all over every piece of Turnpike property?

This guy is all about image and will do anything to make himself look good - even if that means covering up or hiding potential flaws with the Big Dig.

I am not blaming him for this latest failure, I am just saying remove him so we can get some real answers.
Ah, I thought you meant removing the water tank over in Dorchester. :lol:

ZenZen said:

Sure sounds like you are blaming him. Why blame him only and not Romney or Modern Continental?

btw- That is a gas tank with a supposed image of Ho Chi Mihn.

Scott said:
ZenZen said:

Sure sounds like you are blaming him. Why blame him only and not Romney or Modern Continental?

btw- That is a gas tank with a supposed image of Ho Chi Mihn.

You're right, I am blaming him as well as the contractors. Amorello is ultimately repsonsible, however, since he is head of the agency that is overseeing the Big Dig. Romney has been trying to oust Amorello since he took office. The fact of the matter is that Matt Amorello has gotten too comfortable in his chair. Just recently he amassed more power by convincing the board to give it to him. Why would he do that? To weaken the board's ability to oversee his actions? Where is the accountibility?

ps: you're right about the tank - Ho Chi Mihn.

This is all about Matt vs Mitt.

Romney trying to use this in order to get rid of somebody he doesn`t like but doesn`t have the authority to fire. Is there reason to believe the hack he would put into office would be any better than this guy?

Was Mitt even in the state when this happened?

I don't really know about Matt vs. Mitt, but under Amorello's leadership, or lack thereof, we've seen numerous Big Dig issues, cover ups, and backscratching. Tolls that were suppose to be removed, never occurred. Maintenance on the main part of the Pike has been deferred in order to pay for some of the Big Dig. Is this good management? Amorello is not accountable to the people. If the governor had control, then the Turnpike Authority and its chairperson would finally come under the auspices of the public eye.

I know this is all very political, so I'll stop.

ZenZen said:
I don't really know about Matt vs. Mitt, but under Amorello's leadership, or lack thereof, we've seen numerous Big Dig issues, cover ups, and backscratching. Tolls that were suppose to be removed, never occurred. Maintenance on the main part of the Pike has been deferred in order to pay for some of the Big Dig. Is this good management? Amorello is not accountable to the people. If the governor had control, then the Turnpike Authority and its chairperson would finally come under the auspices of the public eye.

I know this is all very political, so I'll stop.

Exactly. Its not like this is the first problem that's occurred with the project.

It's safe to say after this accident that the big dig is officially not worth it.

It cost 14 billion dollars.

It caused traffic problems and cut off portions of the city for literally 15 years.

It's construction quality is questionable at best. I keep thinking back to an episode of the simpsons where the mob is hired to make ada accessible ramps to Springfield Elementary.

Its help traffic wise is marginal at best.

Its final outcome is a series of fields downtown, the best parcel of which isn't even being built upon because masshort is shiftless and probably absorbed all the money that was donated to them.

What's going on today isn't merely a "bump in the road" which will be forgotten 50 years from now like the JHT's falling windows. This project will always be remember as a boon goggle waste of money.

Should the state have rebuilt the structure as it was?

The serviceable life of the Artery had come to an end and one way or another a construction project was going to happen. Should we have torn it down and not had a highway there at all?

I don`t wish to defend certain companies or individuals who were involved with the Big Dig but I would defend the need for the project and the benefits it has brought to the city.

There is a closed, unused, gated-off on-ramp to the Callahan tunnel from North Street. Why don't they open it during this emergency? It would help get traffic from I-93 north into the Callahan.

As I recall, San Francisco's freeway really went nowhere, but the I-93 is a major highway going through the city. So, tearing it down would have had a major economic impact on the city. I don't think that it was a realistic option.

I think that the Big Dig is still a good thing in principal, but whoever managed and oversaw the construction (Bechtel, I think) should be investigated and be fined if necessary. This kind of shoddy workmanship is just pathetic. I'm not sure why you need hanging concrete slabs on the roof anyway. It seems like a waste, couldn't they spend the money on better walls rather than the bathroom tile motif.

In the long term, barring any further accidents. People will forget and the Big Dig will in the end be thought of as a good thing. Whose going to remember 14 billion dollars cost overruns in 100 years time? All they would see are beautiful parks that will improve the quality of life for Boston's inhabitants.

There was more at stake in Boston than this project in SF.

Rt 93 would come to an end at surface roads in Dorchester and Somerville, channeling traffic into those communities.

Route 1 might end in City Square, the old ramp might still be there while Charlestown may still be the blighted area it was in the 1980`s instead of yuppie heaven.

No development in East Boston, just a neighborhood slipping away because of geographic isolation and blighted by the airport.

All the development in the Fort Point Channel, The convention center, the recent revival of the port of Boston and the local cruise ship industry would not be possible without a direct highway connection and access to the airport.

Storrow Drive?... fugettaboutit!

Route 128 and 495 would then become the main roadways in the region and sprawl might be worse than it is.

I think that the T should have been expanded but sadly we were never going to get the money for that type of project.

Back