Borders / 5 Cents Savings / Washington & School

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
At the thingy thingamajig at the BPL today, Peter Meade said he has sent a request to Eataly ( http://eatalyny.com ) to consider the location. It's likely going to have a temp. store for this Christmas/winter, and the property owners are eager to keep it active and lively during transition to perm. tenant (intend to secure one by the end of next year). Meade said they'd probably dress up this corner a little bit more this winter/Christmas with decorations, lights, music, etc. to keep it exciting.

Thoughts on Eataly?

I finally stopped into the Eataly in Manhattan.... wow. This would be perfect, a flagship location.

^BostonUrbEx

Any other interesting comments from Meade at BPL yesterday?

As someone who lives in the neighborhood I have to say that having an Eataly in that location would be one of the greatest things to ever happen to me! There is nothing finer than drinking wine while grocery shopping. Ok, there are a few things finer but this is prety high on my list.

during transition to perm. tenant (intend to secure one by the end of next year)

I am no retail leasing expert and I know some spots in Downtown Crossing have been vacant for year (and I recognize this is a very large space) but will it really take them well over a year to find a new tenant for this space?

Some things take time:

On the border between Burlington and Lexington there is a very busy shopping plaza (Market Basket, Old Navy) which had hosted an Expo Design Center until Home Depot pulled the plug on the whole chain

its been almost 2 years but just this week a Nordstrum's Rack has opened

And the logistics are much better and operating costs are much lower than in DTX

So I wouldn't doubt that it might be a year for the Borders location to get filled

Back