Boston College pics

P

Patrick

Taking my sister to tour B.C. tomorrow (friday Jan 19) but official tours from the school dont start until the 4th of february. I was wondering if anyone on here could give me some pointers about transit into the city (how long? best route? etc.) and about the campus itself and maybe a good restaurant to grab some quick lunch in before heading back in the surrounding area. thanks ahead of time.

I think bowesst is either a current student or a recent graduate of BC.

If you're coming down 128 you can either get on the Mass Pike and get off at route 30 (Comm. Ave.) or you can take 128 to route 9 east, turn left on Hammond St. and end up right at the campus. I think route 9 is probably easier.

I don't know how much time you plan to spend there but generally the the nicest area is the middle campus. Definitely check out Gasson Hall, Bapst Library, Devlin Hall (McMullen Museum of Art), Fulton Hall and Higgins Hall. Both Higgins and Fulton have beautiful atrium's where you can sit down and take a break if you want. You may also want to stop by the bookstore in McElroy.

You should also take a look at O'Neill (the main library) and then walk through 21 Campanella Way to the lower campus. There is a small bookstore and a cafe on the first floor of Campanella. On the lower campus you could check out Corcoran Commons (the largest dining hall), the Mods, and the New Yawkey Athletic Center (They have Fluite's Heisman Trophy in the lobby of Yawkey.)

If your sister wants to check out the freshman dorms you should do so after you visit the Bookstore in McElroy. They are across the street at the upper campus - Gonzaga, Fitzpatrick, Cheverus, etc. There are also freshman dorms on the Newton Campus (about a mile away) on Centre Street.

Before you go, get something to eat at either Pino's Pizza or Eagle's Deli in Cleavland Circle (intersection of Beacon St. and Chestnut Hill Ave.).

thanks bowest, i actually just got back, and aside from getting lost initially in boston on my way there, we hit all of the stops you mentioned (just about). My dad went there, and i remember him having his pic taken in front of Gasson Hall, but didnt know it was called that. Took a pic of my sis in the same spot. what a beautiful school, and library is neat. Ate at Campus deli or something like that by the T station across comm ave. pretty decent quick eat. took centre street to mass pike for the ride home. nice trip, boston was beautiful today, very sunny.

dsc041281mn9.jpg

Great shots. The second one (of St. Ignatius) is by Pablo Eduardo, the same sculptor who did the statue of Kevin White. I'm surprised I haven't seen a picture of it in the forum yet.

KWwithWife.jpg

thanks, sorry but who is kevin white? never heard of that name before.

Patrick said:
thanks, sorry but who is kevin white? never heard of that name before.

Mayor of Boston from 1968 to 1984. Menino commissioned a statue that was recently completed and now stands near Faneuil Hall.

Back