Boston Combat Zone 1969-1978 - photo exhibition

Ron Newman

Reaction score
Howard Yezerski Gallery is pleased to present Boston: Combat Zone 1969-1978, an exhibition featuring black and white photographs by Roswell Angier, Jerry Berndt and John Goodman on view from February 12 through March 16, 2010.

Opening reception is Friday, February 12, from 6 to 8 pm.

Read more about it here

combatzone.jpg

From personal experience I can tell you that 42nd st had a seedy grandeur, but the Zone (as it was usually called) had an intensity all its own.

Unfortunately, the Combat Zone didn't turn out as great as Time Square.

some pixs that boston02116 took himself in the 1970's and has allow me to post for him!
untitled2.jpg
untitled33.jpg
untitledaveryhotel.jpg

Hotel Avery was about where the Ritz-Carlton is now? What a change.

...the Combat Zone didn't turn out as great as Time Square.
Depends what you mean by 'great.' It sure wasn't as gigantic, as mammoth, as world-renowned, as ...

If your criterion for greatness is size, fame or glitz, what in Boston is 'great' when compared to New York? Do we have as great a skyline, as great a waterfront, as great a museum?

But we do hear a lot on this forum that Boston has its own scale, and it shouldn't be compared directly with New York. New York is overwhelming, we're told, and Boston is manageable.

By that measure, the Combat Zone was every bit as 'great' (some would say 'tawdry') as Times Square.

Both are now gone: the Combat Zone and the Times Square of yore.

Ronny, I saw the mother fuckin gallery and it was muther fuckin awesome!!!!

AoM are you auditioning to be in the cast of next seasons Jersey Shore?

Depends what you mean by 'great.' It sure wasn't as gigantic, as mammoth, as world-renowned, as ...

If your criterion for greatness is size, fame or glitz, what in Boston is 'great' when compared to New York? Do we have as great a skyline, as great a waterfront, as great a museum?

But we do hear a lot on this forum that Boston has its own scale, and it shouldn't be compared directly with New York. New York is overwhelming, we're told, and Boston is manageable.

By that measure, the Combat Zone was every bit as 'great' (some would say 'tawdry') as Times Square.

Both are now gone: the Combat Zone and the Times Square of yore.

Van made a comparison between the Combat Zone and Time Square with which I responded too. While many people say you can't compare NYC to Boston, you can compare it proportionally which I did with how both turned out in the present.

The Combat Zone today, improved, yes, but not proportionally as Times Square. The Combat Zone is little more than the edge of Chinatown, with a sandbox across the street from the ArchStone Common, a homeless shelter to the northwest, a sprawling parking lot at Hayward, but they do have a renovated Opera House and Paramount Theater and a club next to it, and dorms. The gap between DTX and Chinatown is a dead zone with hardly any pedestrian activity. Time Square grew up, attracts tourists every year for New Years, have big box shops attracting pedestrian activity throughout the area. Sure NYC is much bigger and of course Time Square is much bigger but even in proportion, the Combat Zone should have done better.

Here are some welcoming improvement.
Turn Hayward Place into retail space with restaurants and shops.
Have another night club at the edge of Lafayette Place.
Build Kensington Place with ground retail.
Fill up the ground level of the Millennium Place.
Make the Combat Zone as an extension of both DTX and Chinatown.

If Boston can accomplish something like that, you have one long continuous stretch of pedestrian activity.

^^^
"Hotel Avery-Suicides Welcomed. Affordable Hourly Rates. Cash Up Front, Please."

Back