Boston Foreclosure Map

The homicide map does clearly point out the huge difference in crime between east and west of Dot Ave. Although the same map shows that the Hendry Street area, west of Dot Ave, didn't have any murders. This points to Dorchester being a neighborhood of neighborhoods and not the monolith often portrayed here.

well put^ definately a neighborhood of neighborhoods. small ones at that.

Both of those are very neat, thanks for sharing.

That's a great point - saying you live in "Dorchester" is like saying "I live in the Fenway/South End/Back/Bay/Beacon Hill/West End/Downtown/Chinatown/Bay Village/Waterfront/North End section of Boston" - Dorchester is that big. The couple of miserable mini-hoods in Dorchester give this entire swath of land a bad name. The residential real estate community should give some thought into dividing and renaming sections of Dorchester to give it some scale and a more community feel - just like the rest of Boston has.

But Dorchester is subdivided. There's Uphams Corner, and Fields Corner, and Codman Square, and Melville Park, and Ashmont Hill, and Lower Mills, and Neponset, and Meetinghouse Hill, and Jones Hill, and probably a bunch of others that I've left out. Sometimes you also hear it divided up into old parish boundaries, such as St. Gregory's.

Usually, when I'm with a real estate client and we're looking at Dorchester, I just take a big red magic marker and subdivide the neighborhood into areas that are up-and-coming and areas that are borderline.

I've found that it helps, a lot.

Usually, when I'm with a real estate client and we're looking at Dorchester, I just take a big red magic marker and subdivide the neighborhood into areas that are up-and-coming and areas that are borderline.

Hmmm - Now if we can get the banks and mortgage brokers to do this too. Maybe we could call it "Redlining." :)

Back