[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting to argue that Rowes Wharf should be the template for this development, however Rowes Warf takes up almost all of its parcel and actually blocks more of the waterfront view than the garage project will

^^^Agree with Scott.

Rowes Wharf is nice but it feels very exclusive with little for the public to do besides look and scuttle through. While the arch is cool the view area through it is small.

A taller building with a bigger opening between the street and sea and more for the average, non-hotel guest to do could work better.

Pretty impressive that we have nearly a 180 page thread for this project*

impressive should also be asterisked

Please pardon the thread bump. The press release provided details hidden behind the pay wall of BBJ, so i thought i'd post it. If the Mods wish to, they can change the thread title to include the project address being used for their LOI, Article 42A Harborpark, Article 80 Review, and all public meetings.

[Mod Note: Don't block quote paywall articles in your posts. Share a link.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Fingers crossed. Imagine harbor garage tower, sst, and winthrop tower all in the same cycle... legendary.

The press release, from last November, was covered in some detail in the Herald.

The Herald article says as much as the BBJ article does, so one can go with the Herald, rather than an extensive quote from BBJ.

From the actual November 20th Letter of Intent:

The 'owner' of the Harbor Garage is the Rams Head Development Company, LLC, a NJ LLC. This is probably a REIT fund within the portfolio of PGIM Real Estate; PGIM is an arm of the Prudential Co.

IMO, Chiofaro's actual ownership stake in the garage property is limited, and perhaps minuscule.

PGIM has the $$$ to finance the actual development, whether they would do so is another matter. For example, they could sell a permitted project a la GE, or force Chiofaro to find another party to finance the construction in return for an ownership stake.

The Letter of Intent indicates that Chiofaro has not yet decided what the mixed use components of the development will be, nor the proportionate share of these components. IMO, that makes it unlikely this will be built on spec; i.e., the office component will be pre-leased, and any hotel component will have a hotel brand signed up before shovels hit dirt.

Fingers crossed. Imagine harbor garage tower, sst, and winthrop tower all in the same cycle... legendary.

Don't forget Filene's! It's been awhile but I think that still counts as this cycle, wouldn't it?

What's the Vegas odds on Chiofaro dropping dead before this project gets off the ground let alone finished. He's like early-mid 70s.

What's the Vegas odds on Chiofaro dropping dead before this project gets off the ground let alone finished. He's like early-mid 70s.
Chiofaro is class of 1968 at Harvard. He captained the football team as a short in stature but terrific linebacker. He graduated the year before the famous 'Harvard beats Yale 29-29' football game.

Chiofaro is class of 1968 at Harvard. He captained the football team as a short in stature but terrific linebacker. He graduated the year before the famous 'Harvard beats Yale 29-29' football game.
Stellar -- depending on when in the year he was born or if he did any grade skipping -- he was probably born as an early Boomer [say 1947 -1949]
The actuarial tables for someone born then and about 70 today -- suggest a life late into the 2030's

Life expectancy for a white male age 75 in 2007 was 10.6 years. I doubt its changed much.

So 85 would be a good shot, not 95.
Stellar -- Yes it has -- the fastest growing cohort of the population %-wise is Centenarians -- i.e. people + 100
Esentially - - if you make it past the early 80's when the acute slow-developing things hit hard -- then you've got some good chance of coasting along until like an old car everything starts to fall apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back