Boston in 1996

arharvey

Reaction score
Just found this board, and gotta say I'm hooked. I only visited Boston once (so far) in 1996 and kinda fell in love with the place. I'd just finished a student exchange in Kentucky from England, and went for an 8 day stay in Boston at the end to unwind. Got a few photos (scans as digital cameras back then were a bit out of my price range), would be interested to see what's changed from 17 years ago!

9086810807_4fb03e5634_b.jpg

9086810813_a7447e37e9_b.jpg

9086811007_62ace383ab_b.jpg

9086810983_b9a0cb1275_b.jpg

9089028488_1e0fd3afbe_b.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! Upload pictures on imageshack or Flickr etc and use the picture icon here to surround the direct link with the appropriate tags. Looking forward to seeing what you have and maybe see you back here at some point...

Yes, welcome! I use Flickr and post lots of pictures so I took the liberty to copy the address over and get the image showing.

9086811007_62ace383ab_b.jpg

What I find works best is to go to the "view all sizes" page for your image, pull it up at the size you want to share it at (1024 pixels is what I use) and then right mouse click and copy THAT address. Then you put the
tags around it and voila!

I'll also add that it's amazing how fugly Independence Wharf was before it got its big remodeling.

Thanks for sharing!

You've inspired me to dig through albums at my parents' house next time because I have to have photos of 90s Boston buried somewhere... My father and grandparents (Grandma loved Filenes) took me up here practically every month while I was growing up.

Has the area around the FleetCenter changed much? When I've looked on Google Earth it seems to be nothing like I remember, but that could just be my (now old) mind playing tricks on me.

That area changed massively. The tangle of highways you might remember is now mostly underground with new development already starting on recovered parcels nearby. Meanwhile the elevated Green Line to North Station has been buried as well.

Ahhhh that would explain it. I always remembered getting off the T and walking down the ramps with the elevated tracks above me, at least I know I didn't imagine that, thanks :)

I feel like everything is the same except for the first and third picture! The third view certainly changed for the better.

In 1996, I think part of the Old Garden was still standing? It took a few years between discontinuing its use and actually demolishing it.

I think my first pic is part of the old Garden isn't it? Not sure ofc, but I know the game I attended was in the spanky new building.

I think my first pic is part of the old Garden isn't it? Not sure ofc, but I know the game I attended was in the spanky new building.

Yes, the first picture is the Old Garden.

It's weird, 1996 wasn't THAT long ago but I feel like I'm looking at pictures from a different era. The last one especially, with all the older model cars (even though the development isn't all that different). It's too bad digital/flickr/etc wasn't so pervasive back then cause I'd love to see some good high res pictures of the old Central Artery.

It's weird, 1996 wasn't THAT long ago but I feel like I'm looking at pictures from a different era. The last one especially, with all the older model cars (even though the development isn't all that different). It's too bad digital/flickr/etc wasn't so pervasive back then cause I'd love to see some good high res pictures of the old Central Artery.

Marriott's Custom House has a great aerial shot from when they bought the tower in 1997 in their great rotunda.

Thats exactly what I thought pixelsand8, I hadn't seen the photos for a few years when I found the album again, the cars struck me as looking so dated.

The 1990s were a bad decade for cars. And then the foreign makers swooped in and amped up the competition.

That's how it seems to me, anyway.

The foreign makes swooped in long before the '90s; it was the '70s when all the little Datsuns and Civic CVCCs started crawling all over the place, and by the '80s the Accord and Camry were household names. But I digress...

Anyway it is amazing how old some of the cars look...those '80s boxes already looked like dinosaurs in the '90s as auto designers tried to outdo each other in the roundness department, and age hasn't done them any favors since then. I never understood why you would design a moving object to have the aerodynamics of a dishwasher.

(Sorry I could ramble about cars forever)

Also note the Beantown Trolley tour in Copley Square! They're still going strong today!

Back