Boston's Best Lit Buildings

DZH22

Superstar
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to discussion and pictures of the night lighting going on in Boston.

Before I nominate my favorites, I would like to bring up that I have noticed 2 new lit buildings as of this month. The first is One Post Office Square, which has lit its glass top the last couple of weekends. It's essentially a dynamic digital message, saying stuff like "Boston" and "Patriots" and changing colors. I also noticed something similar on the Lenox Hotel, as a bright line under the sign which has obviously been lit for years. Anybody know any information about this new lighting?

Anyway, I think the best lit buildings, in no particular order, are the following:
Prudential - I especially love the different colors, with my fav's being Celtics green, red, orange, and light blue
Saltonstall - Nice dark blue top
Custom House - Obviously the lit clock is a win
State Street Tower - Love the electric blue vertical stripes and lit sign
2 International Place - Solid golden yellow top
Old Hancock - Less lit than it used to be, but the weather spire will always stand out
Atlantic Wharf - Bright top, color changing spire
Statehouse - Gold dome shimmers in the night

Did I miss anything worth mentioning? I find it interesting that many of the new residentials and Seaport buildings are much better lit than the giant office towers. Hopefully some of the large new towers will light up in the future, although I have heard MT has no plans on it.

Bit old but I think it's still the same

Liberty Mutual

Seconded. It looks very classy at night.

Prudential - I especially love the different colors, with my fav's being Celtics green, red, orange, and light blue

I love it when it's red. It looks so damn brooding and bad ass at night. Green also looks fantastic.

Liberty Mutual

Saw it tonight, kind of forgot about it because it's so new. Definitely makes my list.

Anybody else with an opinion on 1 Post Office Square? It gives off a kind of futuristic look.

I'm a fan of the TD Garden's lighting, not sure how others feel about it. Works really well with Saltonstall and Zakim Bridge's lights as you drive into the tunnels.

There are a whole bunch of less skyline-grabbing buildings that have got solid lighting too: JFK library, the new UMB science building, the garage at Channel Center.

Not my pic, but
F-43314-sd

some of the older buildings have let there lighting burn out 33 Federal ,101 Arch, 1 Financial center(top two floors) 99 High st used to have a sign on top that lit up Im sure im forgetting a few?

The old John Hancock had beautiful lighting but for some reason it's not lit anymore. A real shame!

Not sure if it was mentioned didn't look but I love how the light up South Station and then your eyes scroll to Atlantic Wharf. That whole area now including Radian and 1 Lincoln combined probably has the best lighting in the city.

when the old Hancock and 222 Berkley were lit up at nite

If there were a competition for the favorite U.S. building (while lighted at night), which do you think it would be? I would bet that the Chrysler Building/NYC would be a top contender, if not THE favorite. Mayor Walsh should encourage a new well lighted/iconic tower be built during his reign.

If there were a competition for the favorite U.S. building (while lighted at night), which do you think it would be? I would bet that the Chrysler Building/NYC would be a top contender, if not THE favorite. Mayor Walsh should encourage a new well lighted/iconic tower be built during his reign.

It would be a travesty, IMO, if the Winthrop garage does not come with a significant, well lit crown.

I nominate the BPL's McKim Building for the list and, perhaps more controversially since many people seem to dislike the crown, 111 Huntington.

Although it's not as prominent today as it was 10 years ago, Miami's Total Bank Tower (formerly Bank of America Tower) has long been celebrated for how well-lit it is at night.

Miami-Tower3.jpg

8299798118_93c94314e5_b.jpg

Blue-Bank-of-America-over-Miami.jpg

As far as Boston goes, though, I'm a fan of the Custom House Tower and the Christian Science Mother Church:

MI_CUSTOM-HOUSE_BOSTON_0148.jpg

p1833317010-5.jpg

Underrated New England pick: the Travelers building in Hartford.

_-2-HARTFORD-SKYLINE.jpg

That's always been 'the' beacon announcing the city from miles away in all directions. I wish Boston had one that stood out above all others to the same degree as the Travelers does.

Have they stop lighting this building up at nite? 222 Berkley on the far left used to be lit at one time

I really disagree about One Financial Center. That is just lazy shining a colored light on a building. It doesn't relate to the architecture of the building at all. They could light the top, maybe run light at the corners (I hate that idea, but at least it's an idea). Light can do so much for a building and the city but it does take some thought and design.

I have been pleased with some of the new lighting lately. Pics are from flickr.

Early bird gets worm. by Damien, on Flickr

Boston Harbor by Austin Floyd, on Flickr

The overall quantity of lit buildings is a big improvement to what I have been used to.

City of Boston's in golden hour light by Thea Prum, on Flickr

Back