Boynton Gateway | 495 Columbia Street | Somerville

IMG_5176.jpeg
IMG_5155.jpeg
IMG_5165.jpeg

Great progress and photos, but I sure hope they plan to bury some of those overhead wires!

Somerville would be so much more aesthetically gentle w/o all the hundreds of wilres dangling and criss-crossing from telephone poles, but whenever the notion of burying them comes up here on aB, many folks post a bunch of -- I'm guessing totally spot-on, accurate -- reasons why it won't happen in most parts of the city for a very, very long time.

Bummer.

The moment connection load of the projecting awning beam got nullified by the beam on the inside running along the ceiling line in the opposite direction. Moment connection calculations/ equal and opposite load calculations suck. I think I got a C- in my physics class. Good thing we could count on the structural engineers to do the calcs!

Somerville would be so much more aesthetically gentle w/o all the hundreds of wilres dangling and criss-crossing from telephone poles, but whenever the notion of burying them comes up here on aB, many folks post a bunch of -- I'm guessing totally spot-on, accurate -- reasons why it won't happen in most parts of the city for a very, very long time.

Bummer.

So it will look like complete crap for a very, very long time.

1/1 From Waltham. It has the glowing roof, below the red and white water tower. You can also see the slanted roof of the new green building at Boynton Yards between them.

IMG_0054 by David Z, on Flickr

Back