BRA Map-based Development Project

vanshnookenraggen

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a terrible name for a great idea. Remember that map of all the new developments in Boston for Google Maps that used to be here (before I got really lazy and stopped updating it)?

Well now the BRA has come out with their snazzy new version of that:

http://gis.cityofboston.gov/article80/

Sort by neighborhood, project type, status, and manager. It uses Microsoft Virtual Earth and has all kinds of great info on each project.

^^Wow, it looks amazing; we finally know about all the small-scale projects in the south side (yes, its not called that but Dorchester, Roxbury, West Roxbury, Rosindale, Matappan, and Hyde Park). I wish they could expand that to Cambridge, we would have a total comprehensive (and easy to use!) look of all projects in the Boston urban area.

Fortunately or unfortunately Cambridge is it's own city with it's own development agency. I say fortunately because the stuff I've seen built in Cambridge rivals anything in Boston in terms of quality and contextuality (for the most part.)

Last edited:
I know, I wish that it would happen, but bureaucracy, you know. But if the BRA is smart enough to put this up, they can convince Cambridge to let them put their projects on as well; of course there will be a turf war but they can make it a joint project. Failing that, we can copy and edit the map with adding our cambridge pushpins.

The BRA map is pretty cool. Lot's of projects going on around the city.

The map does not include major planning initiatives or areas; e.g., Harvard Allston, BC, Northeastern, CA/T Parcel 24, etc. which the BRA categorizes separately.

What is that faint realignment of the Broadway Bridge to Harold St.?

That appears to be the ghost of the old Broadway Bridge that was demolished, reorientated and rebuilt as part of the Big Dig.

Yeah, 7 years ago, give or take a couple, sounds about right.

I remember that. too bad I didnt have the presence of mind to snap some pics, I remember some pretty narly construction action going on then, could be wrong but I think the tunnel was going right beneath it along with the bridge and the x-way overpass overhead. I believe I was a little caught up in the fact that I was in a school bus thinking about graduating from high school at the time.

The map does not include major planning initiatives or areas; e.g., Harvard Allston, BC, Northeastern, CA/T Parcel 24, etc. which the BRA categorizes separately.
What does the BRA categorize those projects as? The maps are also missing major projects like the Ferdinand building in Dudley Square (under construction), Parcel 3 in Roxbury, and Jackson Square.

The idea with Berklee's current proposal is to gobble up the little stretch of Cambria up to St. Cecilia, which would give them enough room to build both a new theatre and dorm tower.

And it's gotta be said that crossing that stretch of Boylston where Cambria breaks off from it is easily one of the most harrowing passages on that street; cabbies seem to love banking that turn at 30 MPH or more. And then there's the fact that so many busses and semis use it as a parking lot..... the sooner Cambria Street disappears the better.

Uh well this was in response to something Chris posted but his post seems to have disappeared. Perhaps I imagined it.

No, I deleted it since I posted in the wrong thread, sorry bout that. And in response, one of the little things that annoys me about Boston development is usage and building of suburban intersections (such as on the greenway), and those damnable right turn corners that are highly anti-pedestrian.

Back