Brooklyn Developments & Urbanism

Shepard

Reaction score
1066' skyscraper proposed for downtown Brooklyn:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/01/brooklyn-is-going-to-get-a-1066-foot-skyscraper.html

14-340-flatbush.w529.h352.jpg

And also, general Brooklyn thread. I know many of you have ties there.

Lol. A bit of a stretch with the New England thing but... this thing really does merit a thread of its own. I love it.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/...streetcar_will_get_de_blasios_endorsement.php

A proposed streetcar that would connect Brooklyn and Queens just got a big backer: According to the New York Times, Mayor Bill de Blasio will endorse the idea in his State of the City address, happening tonight at Lehman College in the Bronx. The proposal calls for a 17-mile system of above-ground rails that would run along the East River waterfront, linking Astoria to Sunset Park through neighborhoods like Long Island City, Greenpoint, Dumbo, and Red Hook.

According to the Times, the streetcar would travel at a speed of about 12 miles per hour—at that rate, it would connect Greenpoint to Dumbo in a little less than half an hour. The projected cost: $2.5 billion.

In an interview with the Times, Alicia Glen, the deputy mayor in charge of economic development, said the system is a way of "mapping transit to the future of New York." The neighborhoods that the streetcar would connect (Long Island City, Williamsburg, Downtown Brooklyn, Sunset Park) are places where developers are investing heavily in residential and commercial development, particularly in the way of office space. And the current options—MTA buses, or some combination of the G train and multiple transfers—are less than ideal. "The old transportation system was a hub-and-spoke approach, where people went into Manhattan for work and came back out," Glen told the Times...

I have mixed feelings about this. One one had, more transportation is great, but on the other hand there are other neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn that could/should be connected as well. This tram only seems to follow roughly the same direction as the "G".

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/...streetcar_will_get_de_blasios_endorsement.php

I have mixed feelings about this. One one had, more transportation is great, but on the other hand there are other neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn that could/should be connected as well. This tram only seems to follow roughly the same direction as the "G".

2nd Ave. Sagas captures that same ambivalence pretty well: http://secondavenuesagas.com/2016/0...n-brooklyn-queens-waterfront-light-rail-plan/. One of the rare times I'd link to a blog and say "read the comments", since same angst gets hashed around without it turning into a hive mind.

Personally, I think Cuomo and DiBlasio are just out to one-up each other on which Crazy Transit Pitch to propose next week as bread-and-circuses to distract from ever having to talk about the MTA's massive capital budget funding shortfall. In real time this will have about the same shelf life as Andy's AirTrain LaGuardia and the Bill's 'Night of the Living Ferries' proposals.

A large proportion of the comments on the NYT article about this are quoting mono-d'oh lyrics. Another major share are saying it'll never happen. Another segment laments that it WILL happen but only because it's for the richy richies of hip neighborhoods.

For the cost of this thing and for the hassle of introducing a new mode, I doubt it really addresses enough of a real transit demand to make it worthwhile. Might this be a useful BRT corridor? Maybe, though I'm not even sure about that. Triboro RX plan has a lot more potential, I would think.

A large proportion of the comments on the NYT article about this are quoting mono-d'oh lyrics. Another major share are saying it'll never happen. Another segment laments that it WILL happen but only because it's for the richy richies of hip neighborhoods.

For the cost of this thing and for the hassle of introducing a new mode, I doubt it really addresses enough of a real transit demand to make it worthwhile. Might this be a useful BRT corridor? Maybe, though I'm not even sure about that. Triboro RX plan has a lot more potential, I would think.

Also...this: https://twitter.com/2AvSagas/status/695468379893854210/photo/1

couldn't figure out why Brooklyn , Connecticut was getting such a large building?

In other Brooklyn news, a light rail proposal connecting Brooklyn & Queens via the waterfront is gaining some steam.

Gaining some traction you mean.

And it's actually a terrible idea that is being picked apart by transit writers.

Gaining some traction you mean.

I'm disappointing in myself for not thinking of that first.

And it's actually a terrible idea that is being picked apart by transit writers.

I haven't seen much other than what's in the mainstream, but I'm sure it is. It doesn't feel like the light rail plan is serving any real high demand routes.

Personally, I'd rather see your Manhattan bound G become reality. It'd give me a one seat ride to work.

Personally, I'd rather see your Manhattan bound G become reality. It'd give me a one seat ride to work.

I wrote that as a thought experiment, not a real proposal. I live off the G, too, and I kinda love that it doesn't go to Manhattan. I always have a seat :)

What is needed is a transfer to the J/M/Z at Broadway. Broadway was supposed to be the key to northern Brooklyn but the South 4th Subway was never built so riders are forced to use the L or A/C.

Back