BRT in NYC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm that's just a really good bus route. It isn't pretending to be a subway line. I wish all buses in Boston worked that way.

Nope, read the fine print in the website. It's a separate entity of the MTA, not "a local bus." These BRT projects are going to be also implemented in the Bronx.

welcome to the forums. I nominate you for best username.

BRT sucks. no doubt about it.

As Shepard pointed out, this is simply an improvement to an existing bus line. No one is claiming this is providing service equal to, or better than a light or heavy rail line (lol Silver Bus Washington St.).

I'll be interested to see how the prepayment system works out. I know it's an integral part of the Route 28x project here in Boston, but from what I've seen, all you'll have to do to avoid paying is walk around the fare gates onto the busway / street, and into the bus stop. I assume NYC is going to implement some decent Proof of Payment system the likes of which you would never see in Boston. (or if you did, you'd find it quietly ended in about a week)

As Shepard pointed out, this is simply an improvement to an existing bus line. No one is claiming this is providing service equal to, or better than a light or heavy rail line (lol Silver Bus Washington St.).

I'll be interested to see how the prepayment system works out. I know it's an integral part of the Route 28x project here in Boston, but from what I've seen, all you'll have to do to avoid paying is walk around the fare gates onto the busway / street, and into the bus stop. I assume NYC is going to implement some decent Proof of Payment system the likes of which you would never see in Boston. (or if you did, you'd find it quietly ended in about a week)

Silver line is simply an improvement over bus 41 (or whatever it was)

No gates at all.

Its like the D line.... ticket vending machines + ticket validation machines + inspectors.

Silver line is simply an improvement over bus 41 (or whatever it was)

No gates at all.

Its like the D line.... ticket vending machines + ticket validation machines + inspectors.

I'm not talking about the Silver Line. I'm talking about 28X and the station plans.

I'm not talking about the Silver Line. I'm talking about 28X and the station plans.

Interesting, I hadnt seen that.

"fare collection" isnt clear in the diagram. It COULD mean a gate, or it could mean the validation machines found on the d line. Many POP systems have a line on the floor that indicates fare paid area. If youre standing in the area without a ticket, you can get fined.

The only way ticket gates work is if the platform is completely enclosed. Like you said, if not, anyone can hop on. Doing so is easy enough, you just need automatic door/gates to open when the bus arrives, like many subway systems have, and the major BRT systems use. I dont see the point in spending that kind of money however.

I highly doubt the T will even bother to enforce any kind of POP on 28X. Maybe for a few weeks now and again they'll do a well-publicized, half-assed enforcement sweep as they often do on the Green Line, but afterwards it'll revert to the status quo of no collection.

I highly doubt the T will even bother to enforce any kind of POP on 28X. Maybe for a few weeks now and again they'll do a well-publicized, half-assed enforcement sweep as they often do on the Green Line, but afterwards it'll revert to the status quo of no collection.

Probably.

What does the MBTA police do again?

NYC is building 2 new subway lines and extending the LIRR into Grand Central.

And creating a network of BRT.

And studying a new network of Light Rail.

Suck it.

Why are you taking pride in the Second Avenue Subway? That project took 80 years to start building. Even the MBTA doesn't take that long.

Why are you taking pride in the Second Avenue Subway? That project took 80 years to start building. Even the MBTA doesn't take that long.

It takes them half the time but they try to do it on the cheap so their infrastructure has half the Half-Life of a normal system.

But I just gotta ask, did NYC rape yo mama or something? Or have you just never been outside of Boston your whole young life?

NYC is building 2 new subway lines and extending the LIRR into Grand Central.

Two subway lines? Second avenue and...

I thought the 7 line extension was on indefinite hold...I haven't heard a word about it since New York lost the 2012 Olympic bid.

I'm down for discussions of other cities rapid transit but only if we can carry on like adults.

armpitOFass, this is your only warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back