BusinessWeek Best Buildings of 2007

unterbau

Reaction score
The Best Buildings of 2007
This was the tenth year of the BW/AR architectural awards. Intended to celebrate more than just a pretty fa?ade, the competition rewards design that demostrably contributes to business success. A jury of editors from BusinessWeek and Architectural Record analyzed nearly 100 applicants from an eclectic group of workdwide architects and their clients. There were four Award of Excellence winners and six other finalists which received a Citation of Excellence. Here, take a closer look at them.​

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/11/1130_bwar_best_buildings/index_01.htm

InterActiveCorp Headquarters NYC, NY: Gehry Partners/Studios Architecture
iac.jpg

Young Center For The Performing Arts Toronto, ON: Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects
youngcenter.jpg

U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters Suitland, MD: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
census.jpg

Navy Federal Credit Union Heritage Oaks Center, Building One Pensacola, FL: ASD
navyfederal.jpg

Four Seasons Center For The Performing Arts Toronto, ON: Diamond & Schmitt Architects
fourseasons.jpg

Hearst Tower NYC, NY: Foster + Partners/Gensler
hearst.jpg

Hubbell Lighting Headquarters Greenville, SC: McMillan Smith & Partners Architects
hubbell.jpg

SJ Berwin London, UK: HOK
berwin.jpg

San Diego Padres Ballpark/Petco Park San Diego, CA: Antoine Predock Architect/HOK Sports
sandiego.jpg

Gardiner Museum Toronto, ON: Kuwabara Payne Mckenna Blumberg Architects
gardiner.jpg

Some interesting choices here, especially Petco Park which has been open since 2004, but is being recognized for the community plan involved in the construction.

Most of the choices are, "meh," but I really like the Young Center in Toronto. I don't know if it's the fact that the plaza (or sidewalk?) matches the siding, but it looks like a great job of bringing what looks to be an old factory back to life. I am shocked they didn't put the power lines underground, that just looks terrible in comparison to the rest of the project.

Petco is interesting because it integrates the Western Metal Supply building into the actual park (taking integration of existing buildings one step further than Camden Yards did).

(Photo courtesy Paul Hamann: http://www.geocities.com/bigghoti/stadiumwriting/petco.htm)

I know it's been beaten to death, but Hearst Tower is nice too.

**Edit** I think the wood on the U.S. Census Bureau is really well done. The color of it is very similar to the wood on the Fan Pier offices. If this is a new trend, I like it.

Last edited:

Back