Call for a general meeting

JimboJones

Reaction score
This needs its own thread.

It might be the vodka talking, but I would like to make a formal request for a meeting to discuss the idea of forming a citizen-led group of individuals focused on new development in Boston.

Okay, definitely the vodka talking.

You know what I mean. Let's get together to discuss creating an organization of like-minded individuals interested in supporting new development in Boston, with a focus on new and exciting architecture and design, while respecting the history of Boston.

For the three or four of you who don't know, my name is John Keith. I am a real estate broker in Boston.

More about me can be found at http://www.bostonreb.com

Let's meet soon, say a week from Wednesday, on June 6, 2007 (D-Day, as it were).

Open to anyone and everyone, frank and honest opinions encouraged.

Back Bay Starbucks, Boylston Street, 6:30 PM, across from the Mandarin Oriental?

Too forward? I'm open to discussion. I thought I'd take the initiative.

Thoughts?

(We can podcast it for those unable to attend and/or for teenagers not able to make it out past curfew.)

I support this movement but alas, I will be unable to attend in person as I live in NYC. But anything I can do through the computer, I will.

As a suggestion lets integrate any ideas in the "Towards A New Boston Style" thread into this movement.

And I really think that this website should be the home base, as it were, on the internets for any movement. We are already here and it would give this place so much more purpose than just a forum.

nice. my congrats to the vodka. :)

won't be there (work hours, etc.). i can pitch in on the computer where that would be helpful. david, dk107dk at hotmail

----- edit -----

what is on the agenda?

I might be able to go, but i will confirm later in the week for sure. Regardless, i really want to see this idea become a reality.

Will this group be specifically for Boston architectural development, or will we also include other economic projects such as MBTA expansion etc...?

As for agenda, i think we need to lay out, among other things, the following:

Define what we actually stand for.
Strategies for showing our support(Columbus center)/dismay(precast, SBW) for projects.
Perhaps written assignments or articles. Like Vansh said, include the "towards a new boston" thread.
A website to publish said articles. (Keep this forum though!)
A NAME!

Thoughts ....

Maybe keeping this all in writing right now would be better than meeting?

I just wanted to grab the idea while it was fresh. It's an idea I had thought of acting on prior to this go-around, actually.

I'm very development focused, not because I'm a real estate broker, but because I like architecture and design and because I want us to go forward within the city, not be mired in the past.

If people want to start this by maybe writing a couple paragraphs about what they believe in, maybe that's the way to go.

If nothing else, it gives us a way to learn more about each other, which is worthwhile, you know?

I think to start we should keep it simple, design and development oriented. MBTA expansion is a whole nother universe.

The first thing that we all need to do is agree on what kind of design criteria we are looking for in a development. This is going to be difficult as we all have different ideas about what looks "good".

We also have to take into consideration the economics of building. Pre-cast concrete is the technology of the day and I have a feeling no one here is such a wizard that they could just come up with a better way to do things. I think we need to find a better way for pre-cast to work, design wise.

Pre-cast aside, the NUMBER ONE THING that we should stand for is livability and human scale design. I'm talking mixed use, street walls, density, walkability, building variety, etc. If anyone here hasn't read Jane Jacobs The Death and Life and Great Cities you should stop reading this forum, get off your damn computer, and go buy a copy. If you are interested enough to read this forum you must read this book.

The we should write up a manifesto for what we believe and stand for. This should also be simple, a few big points but points that can mean many things (like 'walkability').

After this we need to write a ton of papers talking about what we mean so when people read what we stand for they can see examples and better understand us.

Then we need to start networking (not computers) with people. Architects, planners, politicians, community leaders, etc. We need to get the word out there. We need to be talking to community groups about ways that GOOD development can enhance their neighborhood. We should also talk to the city, mayor, BRA, etc. We need to know how things get done in this town.

We do this BEFORE we talk to developers. Once we are connected to the people and the organizers we will have the power to talk to developers as a go between. We need to have the trust of the people first, otherwise we are just another lobby group out for our own self interest. Many flaps between developers and residents can easily be avoided when the developers and the residents work together. We need to be the ones who brings the two to the table before any plans are made.

Those are some basic ideas for what we need to do. Keep in mind I have never done anything like this.

As an example for an issue, we should plan somethings out about affordable housing. The best way to build affordable housing that doesn't get peoples' pantie's all in bunches is to build it above retail along major streets. This form of housing is usually banned through zoning. We need to try and change this. Think of all the one story retail buildings in the area. Now imagine how many people you could fit in affordable rooms above these in just 2 or 3 extra floors. We are talking thousands of units here. And because a room above a shop or restaurant is less desirable it is sold for less.

Back