Calling tall ships: Money could capsize event

KentXie

Reaction score
I always love this yearly event. I'm thinking of taking my girlfriend to it this year but this certainly doesn't look good. Hopefully it will still take place.

Calling tall ships: Money could capsize event
By Donna Goodison
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sail Boston is mulling a bid to bring tall ships from around the world to the Hub in 2009, but several factors threaten to take the wind out of its sails.

The group?s board, which has shelved plans for a 2007 event, is hoping Boston can be a host city for the Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge, expected to be the largest U.S. tall ships showing since 2000.

Its decision hinges on its ability to raise public and private funds to cover event costs. Sail Boston 2000 expenses exceeded $6 million, before post-9/11 security concerns came into play.

?One of the challenges is how to raise the money to market the event and cover the public safety and security costs the city and state incur with an event that attracts millions of people,? said Pat Moscaritolo, chairman of the nonprofit Sail Boston board.

Organizers also must assuage Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, still smarting over an unkept promise that the city?s public safety costs would be covered in 2000.

?We must be made whole for the $1.2 million in public safety costs for the 2000 event and assured that we will not be left with public safety costs for the 2009 event,? said Julie Burns, the city?s director of arts, tourism and special events.

Organizers also were dealt a setback Saturday when Gov. Mitt Romney vetoed $250,000 in state matching funds for Sail Boston that were part of an economic stimulus bill. But Sen. Jack Hart (D-South Boston) yesterday vowed an override.

Sail Boston wants to use the money for marketing and security for a visiting ship program, designed to showcase the Hub?s port city offerings to ship captains.

The American Sail Training Association in Newport, R.I., is organizing the Atlantic Challenge with Sail Training International.

A fleet of ships will navigate the Atlantic, traveling from Europe to Bermuda. The race will proceed to U.S. ports before the return leg from Nova Scotia. Organizers already are in talks with Norfolk, Va., and New York, said Peter Mello, the association?s executive director.

?It?s not just a pure bid process,? he said. ?We also have to fit a schedule around a number of factors, including...the times and distances it takes to travel between the cities.?

Not cool, I love the tall ships, I try to go every time they are in town. It's kind of a tradition in this town, I say do whatever can be done to bring them here.

Back