Camera on Kite Towering Above Boston

That's very interesting. Hopefully with bigger kites and better cameras they can create postcard pictures. It looks like there's a Red Sox game going on in Fenway in that last Boston shot :)

wow I hadn't even looked at the main site. THese are hilarious!!!

That connector at Charlesgate could be the next elevated highway to tear down. ;) A greenway already exists beneath it.

Eh, it's probably the least offensive highway section in Boston, and it's probably helped keep Back Bay property values from completely overwhelming Kenmore Square.

The MIT boathouse, on the other hand...

The Charlesgate overpass seems to me entirely unnecessary, since there are perfectly good surface roads parallelling it on both sides. These could still connect to Storrow Drive without the overpass -- and I believe they did just that for several decades.

I agree with Ron and Ablarc. I'd love to see this overpass torn down. Every time we'd drive over it as a kid my parents would say, "That's where we got married." I was never impressed until I saw an old postcard of how it looked before the overpass was built.

czsz wrote:
"and it's probably helped keep Back Bay property values from completely overwhelming Kenmore Square."

I agree...you're admitting that it devalues the area.

Most of central Boston is overvalued. And overgentrified. The Hotel Commonwealth is more than enough Back Bay for Kenmore already...

^^

The Hotel Commonwealth:The Back Bay::Dogs Playing Poker:The Louvre

Kenmore Square and Bay State Road were built as continuation of the Back Bay. Kenmore used to be full of fancy hotels, most of which have now been converted to apartments or condominiums.

czsz said:
Most of central Boston is overvalued. And overgentrified. The Hotel Commonwealth is more than enough Back Bay for Kenmore already...

statler said:
The Hotel Commonwealth:The Back Bay::Dogs Playing Poker:The Louvre

The Hotel Commonwealth has all the artistic merit of a German enema-video -- easily the single worst building constructed in Boston in the last 20 years.

I said on the old archBoston before the crash, they'll need shit-load of dynamite and a bunch of bulldozers to fix The Hotel Commonwealth.

I guess I should clarify...the Hotel Commonwealth represents the desire to Back Bay-icize Kenmore Square...even if it's hideously poor in execution.

It may have been elegant once, but Kenmore best served the city as a slightly gritty hangout spot and transportation hub. So much of the city's core is already dripping in luxury this and exclusive that.

czsz said:
...the Hotel Commonwealth represents the desire to Back Bay-icize Kenmore Square...

True enough, and woefully misguided...A vital and varied block was replaced with The Fauxtel Vend?me, French Second Empire re-imagined (it would seem) by industrial designers from Mattel.

czsz said:
...Kenmore best served the city as a slightly gritty hangout spot and transportation hub. So much of the city's core is already dripping in luxury this and exclusive that.

Like Harvard Square, but worse -- BU's relationship to Kenmore is more tangential, and the Sox bring grit (at most) only 92 time a year.

Back