Canal Plaza Renovations and Development | Portland

Thanks. My friend just renewed her Exchange Street lease in a meeting with Tim this past week and they discussed the future of parking behind the building (Fox Court) and she got the impression that he is still moving forward with his plans for Canal Plaza.

Agreed, or at least 25 floors. I was on a schooner sail yesterday and the view of the downtown line of hi-rises is still one of a kind of one long wall. 201 Federal, even with the remaining 4 stories added, will not be much of a tower point sticking up when arriving by boat from the islands. At the area of going past Fort Gorges, it doesn't even look like a skyline--or during the late afternoon and sunset times anyway (backlit). The new buildings in the "East Port" look cool though. If the Covetrus building had been double its height, that would have helped.

Agreed, or at least 25 floors. I was on a schooner sail yesterday and the view of the downtown line of hi-rises is still one of a kind of one long wall. 201 Federal, even with the remaining 4 stories added, will not be much of a tower point sticking up when arriving by boat from the islands. At the area of going past Fort Gorges, it doesn't even look like a skyline--or during the late afternoon and sunset times anyway (backlit). The new buildings in the "East Port" look cool though. If the Covetrus building had been double its height, that would have helped.
Infill should not be squandered going forward - at the very least the minimum and maximum heights in the downtown and bayside height overlays should be increased.

A little off topic but I noticed in one of East Brown Cow's recent job listings they referenced "Design and planning for a ground-up 300FT tall ‘tower’ with a world-renowned architecture office." in their list of current projects - anyone have any information on that?

Well that basically describes the Safdie-designed hotel tower that has been simmering in the background for a couple years now. It seems reasonable to assume it's still simmering and that they'll bring it back before the public at some point. BTW your comment was assuredly on-topic!

I'm probably alone in this opinion, but the more I think about this project the more I think that the Canal Plaza site simply isn't good location for a tower of that scale. Height is cool, but it isn't everything.

It's worth noting that the Dec 2019/Jan 2020 zoning change request was denied and members of the City Council and HP Board raised very strong objections to a tower of that height so close to Exchange Street (which, to me, are perfectly valid concerns given the proximity this parcel has to Exchange St.)

This tower wouldn't be like Federal St. or Herald Square. This would face A -BIG- uphill battle to become reality.

Last edited:
When I went to college in Boston, most days I'd get off at Copley and walk past Copley Square and admire the 60 story Hancock Tower even though there was nothing but old and historic buildings surrounding it--Trinity Church, Boston Public Library, Copley Plaza Hotel, and the incredible rows of late 19th Century brownstones on Commonwealth and Beacon Avenues. Not once did I ever think that tower, angled so perfectly to the edge of the public square, reflecting the blue sky, clouds, and the church, diminished in some way the area. It was the opposite. Sometimes contrast enhances the beauty of each source. It's not the height of a building, but rather how it's designed, in my opinion. But for the Old Port, if not thought out enough, yes it could become a regretful distraction. They better do it right or don't do it at all.

I'm probably alone in this opinion, but the more I think about this project the more I think that the Canal Plaza site simply isn't good location for a tower of that scale. Height is cool, but it isn't everything.

It's worth noting that the Dec 2019/Jan 2020 zoning change request was denied and members of the City Council and HP Board raised very strong objections to a tower of that height so close to Exchange Street (which, to me, are perfectly valid concerns given the proximity this parcel has to Exchange St.)

This tower wouldn't be like Federal St. or Herald Square. This would face A -BIG- uphill battle to become reality.

It does seem the the highest allowable limit should’ve in Bayside — away from the remaining core and with high visibility from the interstate and across the cove; from South Portland, the height could be enough to still be viewable and dramatic without sacrificing any more of the integrity of the post-Great Fire structures.

Am I wrong for somewhat disliking the design in the mockups we've seen so far?

I understand trying to "fit" things into the existing environment with brick, but my fear is a bunch of buildings that resemble One Portland Square grouped together.
For instance, Herald Square should be somewhat unique and different (but fit within the landscape).
The Federal Street tower will be different, but still sort of resemble what we already have.

What about a building like 26 Cottage Street in Jersey City? Or is this worse?

Attachments

• 26-Cottage-Street-Rendering.jpg
    26-Cottage-Street-Rendering.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 118

I understand trying to "fit" things into the existing environment with brick, but my fear is a bunch of buildings that resemble One Portland Square grouped together.
For instance, Herald Square should be somewhat unique and different (but fit within the landscape).
The Federal Street tower will be different, but still sort of resemble what we already have.

No, you are not wrong. The previous designs look weird. We kind of already have proof of glass facades fitting into and complementing the surrounding buildings of the Old Port -- 470 Fore Street (Miyake). S.F. and Boston use this concept for many narrow and squeezed in residential buildings. It looks cool. Modern and historic/old working together. Why do so many Mainers want to continue living in the past? The past does not exist. It's in our minds. EVERYTHING old that is still around exists in the present, along with everything else. Everything is in the present, and sometimes the old continues well on past the things created after (like people). Think about it.

But for the Old Port, if not thought out enough, yes it could become a regretful distraction. They better do it right or don't do it at all.
We are talking about a Soley project, are we not?

I don't necessarily hate the design, but I would prefer to see something different happen - and there's already precedent in that area for something other than brick. The Hyatt and the Fore St Garage are connected to this site, both of which are already modern in design. I think its absurd to disapprove of a 25 floor building anywhere on the peninsula due to skyline views or proximity to historic structures (other than maybe the east end and west end residential neighborhoods. although the east end has the Portland House and Eastern Prom Towers).

We are talking about a Soley project, are we not?
Everyone is capable of a misstep. They did Hyatt Place, and the siding looks cheap. The irregular windows on the corner are cool, but always covered from the inside with the curtains. What's the point? Why would guests want to walk around like they're on stage to show all the carousers on the street? Not thought-out enough on that idea. And the rooftop rooms outdoor spaces aren't deep enough, and so are rarely used. They could have done greenhouse-like curved smoked windows over this, so that it could have been used year-round. It's nearly always cold and blustery 60 feet up or higher in Maine.

Everyone is capable of a misstep. They did Hyatt Place, and the siding looks cheap. The irregular windows on the corner are cool, but always covered from the inside with the curtains. What's the point? Why would guests want to walk around like they're on stage to show all the carousers on the street? Not thought-out enough on that idea. And the rooftop rooms outdoor spaces aren't deep enough, and so are rarely used. They could have done greenhouse-like curved smoked windows over this, so that it could have been used year-round. It's nearly always cold and blustery 60 feet up or higher in Maine.
I'm of the generation that tends to associate the name "Soley" more with their old man and his notorious "in any given week the likelihood that you will die in here is under 50%" apartments, also in the Old Port, so your "do it right or not at all" makes me think "with these guys, perhaps best to skip it." :)

Another personal opinion: the city forcing Joe Soley to clean up his properties was a key step in the overall gentrification of downtown, because once they were improved and he started charging higher rents, the people living in the Old Port were no longer the same people that were spending their evenings bar crawling in the Old Port. From there it was a sequence of noise complaints, restricting the available liquor licenses, and fancier places moving into what had once been a sea of dive bars full of 20-somethings.

Copper branch looks likes it’s done done. Wonder what rent is and what they’ll get in there

Copper branch looks likes it’s done done. Wonder what rent is and what they’ll get in there
That's a tough one. If it had a second floor with an opening to below, I'd say a mini nightclub. It's hard to survive in Portland with a new idea niche product or service. The Italian handbag place (O bag) across died too. If it were me, I would put in a relatively higher end beer and wine bar with tapas, subsidized a bit from Maine brands like Allagash and Bluet. But then Cara Stadler's wine bar died too, and she won a James Beard. Perhaps Maine Medical can put in a small clinic of some kind (ha). Their profit model looks forever bright.

Last edited:

Back