Plan Nubian Square Parcel P-3 (née Tremont Crossing) | Roxbury

Re: Tremont Crossing in Roxbury

This would also provide great job opportunities for students and even local Roxbury residents.

This is some truly unfortunate phrasing. I don't even know man.

proximate Sizes and Uses Element
Square Feet
Building Levels
Large-Format Retail
500,000 s/f
4 Levels
Smaller Retail (Fronting Tremont Street)
50,000 s/f
1 Level (two building structures)
Office
200,000 s/f
9 Levels
Multifamily, Residential
200,000 s/f (240 units)
11 Levels
Museum / Cultural Center
58,000 s/f
3 Levels
Parking
592,000 s/f
8 Levels (plus one partially underground)

proximate Sizes and Uses Element
Square Feet
Building Levels
Large-Format Retail
500,000 s/f
4 Levels
Smaller Retail (Fronting Tremont Street)
50,000 s/f
1 Level (two building structures)
Office
200,000 s/f
9 Levels
Multifamily, Residential
200,000 s/f (240 units)
11 Levels
Museum / Cultural Center
58,000 s/f
3 Levels
Parking
592,000 s/f
8 Levels (plus one partially underground)

Sidew -- that's does not = 1 million sq ft. which is what was quoted by the story

Either way...that is the project mix.

As somebody who lives in JP, I would love to have another mall option for my shopping needs. Right now I only have whatever is on the orange line: Copley Place/Shops at Prudential and the Cambridge Galleria Mall (yeah there's a green line transfer...whatever). Fuck driving to the Natick mall or that Dedham life style center. Although, I must admit I am a mugger's wet dream when I walk home at night with all these shopping bags full of shit!

^ So why aren't you shopping downtown?

I don't understand what is wrong with job opportunities for the demographics I listed. There are plenty of residents from Roxbury who are looking for work (I've seen them apply desperately even at AE).

As somebody who lives in JP, I would love to have another mall option for my shopping needs. Right now I only have whatever is on the orange line: Copley Place/Shops at Prudential and the Cambridge Galleria Mall (yeah there's a green line transfer...whatever). Fuck driving to the Natick mall or that Dedham life style center. Although, I must admit I am a mugger's wet dream when I walk home at night with all these shopping bags full of shit!

Forgetting Chestnut Hill?

The Mall at Chestnut Hill is horrendous and has horrible transit access.

I do occasionally buy stuff from the Kenmore Army and Navy store at DTX. However, Macy's, H&M, Marshall's, and TJ Maxx can all go fuck themselves!! I prefer Sears, JC Penny, Target, Eastern Mountain Sports, and REI.

I don't understand what is wrong with job opportunities for the demographics I listed. There are plenty of residents from Roxbury who are looking for work (I've seen them apply desperately even at AE).

You made it sound as if job opportunities for residents of Roxbury are a mere afterthought, as if this mall is being primarily with students in mind. Remember who the developers are, and why this is so important for retail starved Roxbury.

Who's financing this development? It doesnt sound like there are real investors involved in this one.

"The developer picked for the project is P-3 Project Partners LLC, a collaborative effort by Feldco Boston LLC, an affiliate of Feldco Development Corp; and Elma Lewis Partners LLC, a corporation created by the nonprofit National Center for Afro-American Artists for this development."

(To be fair, the second to last thing this area needs is more superblock development...but I'll take it given the circumstances in the area..)

You have to see this as a choice between a landscraper and another South Bay Plaza. A landscraper is far better for this location. And as landscrapers go, this one is pretty cool. It will really activate the street. And given the proxim8ty to colleges and transit, it should easily get enough foot traffic.

Yup; hence "I'll take it given the circumstances..."

So apparently the DPIR was submitted on August 31? A read through the report shows numerous new renderings and a significant increase in height in both buildings.

The layout of the Project’s two (2) main building structures will be designed around a large public plaza, which will have significant frontage along Tremont Street. Smaller retail consisting of shops, restaurants and boutiques will be on the ground level of each. The large format retail building will consist of three (3) levels, each of which will be approximately twenty (20) feet from floor to ceiling for a total building use height of sixty-one (61) feet. Sitting adjacent to the large format retail is a multifamily, residential tower which will rise nineteen (19) floors in total from the ground floor, which is at the corner of Whittier Street and Tremont Street. An additional length of the residential tower that will bend down Whittier Street will rise nine (9) levels, starting at the top of the first level of the retail building. The building height of the portion of the retail/residential tower that traverses Whittier Street will be approximately 127 feet in height. Additionally, the hotel will rise above the portion of the retail and residential that fronts Tremont Street. This portion of the building structure will have a total building height of 319 feet.

The Second building structure will consist of three (3) levels of retail, the Museum on the fourth level and nine (9) stories of office above, for a total building height of 209 feet.

Link to the DPIR: http://bostonredevelopmentauthority...rossing (P-3)/Tremont Crossing (P-3)_DPIR.pdf

Wow, how did this sneak by? I don't love it, but it's oh so needed on the Orange Line corridor. The lack of development around the NEC stations should be criminal.

Wahoo! It got taller! This is just the density and height that is needed in this area.

Excellent. I hope they combine this with some measures to make Tremont Street a less scary place to walk though. It's like a highway there. Part of that is the emptiness around it though.

Back