Plan Nubian Square Parcel P-3 (née Tremont Crossing) | Roxbury

Re: Tremont Crossing in Roxbury

Excellent. I hope they combine this with some measures to make Tremont Street a less scary place to walk though. It's like a highway there. Part of that is the emptiness around it though.

Break it up with signalized ped crossings once you get an increase of foot traffic. You're right, Tremont really flies through there. Not nearly like it does once it turns into Columbus though.

I like the project but i don't understand why they want to put 404,475 sq ft of big box retail at this site.

I would think the business owners in Dudley Sq might not be too happy about this.

I would think the business owners in Dudley Sq might not be too happy about this.

Are the business owners in Back Bay and the South end unhappy about the Prudential Center or Copley Place?

I don't see why lower Rox, which is devoid of a thriving retail sector, would be unable to support both a vibrant Dudley Square (maybe when the Green Line arrives someday...) as well as a bustling Tremont Crossing more centered around Ruggles.

Wow, the density in this new report looks great. I bet the retail will be popular with all the NU students living right next to this in International Village (and also with Ruggles so close).

Wow, the density in this new report looks great. I bet the retail will be popular with all the NU students living right next to this in International Village (and also with Ruggles so close).

It also looks like IV. Did anyone else pick up on this building using the same facade vocabulary, like the colored panels?

This would be really cool to have in Roxbury.

^i thought this was dead i hope this continues to be a thing

Ignoring the fact that it's in a not so welcoming area, imagine how much this project would change this side of tremont street. It's also taller now than what was originally proposed. (This project was also recently approved by the BRA) Check out the renderings:
10500277_739137552796797_5720175706423473084_n.jpg

10492249_739137516130134_4743408414058435253_n.jpg

10474034_739137539463465_8269998940687571846_n.jpg

1904193_739137556130130_4540090804612614191_n.jpg

10414536_739137519463467_7738146227244585236_n.jpg

10462786_739144516129434_187820963223968290_n.jpg

10425087_739144522796100_4131996966994187373_n.jpg

Boston isn't really a city of signage, but this will help improve that.

Last edited:

Looks great. Why does the BRA site say this is still Under Review if it was already approved?

Should this thread be merged with the Parcel 3 thread?

I don't see this as a good place for this much retail. It's such a dead zone (and I get that this is trying to address that) because of the remnants of urban renewal. Shouldn't the city try to focus the retail more towards Dudley Sq or even Roxbury Crossing? The site is surrounded by a highway, housing projects, a massive school complex, and a park. Where will the customers come from and why would they be walking down Tremont in the first place? Yeah it looks nice but if the city doesn't totally rethink the Madison Park area this is going to stagnate. Just filling in the empty parts won't make it work.

There are plenty of spaces for residential development on the other side of Tremont by Rox Xing, plus scads of Northeastern students a ten-ish minute walk away. The parking garage will also allow people to drive there, for better or worse. As long as the city doesn't allow other development opportunities to sit vacant, this can do well even without a total rethink of Madison Park.

Is BPD HQ in for the long haul? Or is that an older facility that could be relocated within the decade?

^ It was built in the mid '90s so I'd have to think it has a bit more life in it.

As for Northeastern students shopping here, why would they head this way when they already have Fenway? Target and Wegmans coming will only reinforce this behavior.

that area west of the orange line and south of Pretiss st is SCREAMING for redevelopment. its literally right next to the Roxbury Crossing T stop, and is a bunch of parking lots and empty land. Does the city own that land currently?

I'm a big supporter of this project and its program, but I have to admit that the outdoor mall concept is downright absurd. This is not LA where the weather is always nice for outdoor promenade shopping. Faneuil Hall Marketplace/Marketplace Center is the prime example. It is packed during the summer (even more so because it's a tourist destination) and totally dead in the winter because it is simply miserable to be outside during those months. This mall would be much better if they enclosed it. Plus, walls could possibly stop stray bullets from hitting shoppers.

Back