Canopy Portland Waterfront | 1 Center Street | Portland

IMG_1980.jpg

Anyone else find the rooftop views here surprisingly unimpressive? You're mostly looking at parking lots.

Yes. They screwed up with this. The patio should be in the back of the building facing SW for sunsets. It's all about the sunset at happy hour, unless you have a wonderful harbor view, which they don't. I would re-purpose this space for indoor/outdoor event space (weddings) and go to the back of the building to construct a deck on the roof facing SW. And yes, you will need some sort of handicap lift, but those can be chair-type ones. Otherwise, a designated elevator is a $1.5 mill spend. The hotel with the best views for an outdoor deck would be the AC Marriott next to WEX. And the best new outdoor deck to come (next summer)? The Sun Life building, an insurance company. Not only is it an optimized view of the harbor, but is next door to Fore Points Marina, and so you get to spy on the yachting billionaires and their entourage. Last week there were 8 at the marina. Next summer, it'll probably go over 10.

Last edited:
But did you get into the roof bar for a cocktail?

I had breakfast on the rooftop for the Jaguar event and the views were nice looking east down Commercial Street, the other end not so much. Absolutely gorgeous hotel but I must add that the restroom on the top level was a totally new experience for most of us!

Last edited:
I must add that the restroom on the top level was a totally new experience for most of us!
Now THAT sounds interesting! I'm still wondering if the restroom lavatories I saw in McDonald's in Scotland 25 years ago could come over here. (They were in the form of an alcove in the wall. When you put your hands in, they first gave you a little water, then the soap squirted out, a 20 or so second pause so you could do the washing part, then water to rinse with, then the dryer kicked in... all in the same unit, automatically!)

Back