Citgo Sign

Am I the only person more concerned with the buildings under the sign than the sign itself? Kenmore Square has a really bad track record with new construction.

Am I the only person wants to see the sign come down? This is such a strange thing for people to celebrate.

But I can see it on my TV when the Red Sox are on! It's important!

I like the Citgo sign. Not simply because it's been there since before Jesus, but, because it adds character and life to the city, similar to the Shell sign, the Paramount Theater marquee, or the kettle in front of the Starbucks. These are characteristics that people generally appreciate, but are absent from most new development (the retail signage on most new development is generally way too non-descript). People complain on here about the crowns of buildings not being lit, perhaps for a similar reason. I always get excited to see the bright lights of the city, old billboards, or the advertisements painted on old brick walls. It's part of "Dirty old Boston." A lot of it is difficult to replicate and not make it look like Main Street USA in Disney World. Regarding Statler's comment implying his desire for preservation of the building below - I agree 100%, and I think there are some similarities in our argument. We both want to preserve the character of the city. A part of that is through preservation of architecture. Another is to preserve or create complementary accessory elements that also bring life to the city. They are both very important pieces of the puzzle.

Am I the only person wants to see the sign come down? This is such a strange thing for people to celebrate.

Nope, I personally don't like it at all. I'm not a baseball fan so I have absolutely no positive emotional attachment to it.

It's very 20th century - advertising for an oil giant (owned by an oppressive communist government no less) as some perverse/backward identity for a young, progressive city. I understand it is an icon for sports fans, but let's leave it in the 20th century. It couldn't be less relevant to contemporary Bostonians.

Nope, I personally don't like it at all. I'm not a baseball fan so I have absolutely no positive emotional attachment to it.

It's very 20th century - advertising for an oil giant (owned by an oppressive communist government no less) as some perverse/backward identity for a young, progressive city. I understand it is an icon for sports fans, but let's leave it in the 20th century. It couldn't be less relevant to contemporary Bostonians.

Well when you say it like that...... Way to take the fun out of everything.

Not everything that starts in evil has to remain that way. Walt Disney was a nazi supporter wasnt he? Thats whats great about being human, we can bad things into positives. I dont think oil or Venezuela when I see the Citgo sign, I think Kenmore square, the Red Sox, Fenway. I do think that sign is important because it says BOSTON. We should save it, it should continue on. Not everything has to have deep meaning. We dont have to ponder on about what the sign represents. Its an idiotic sign and I love it.

The Citgo Sign is to Venezuela as Andy Warhol is to Campbell's Soup. It's art; pop flavor divorced from its meaning. The best reflection of that is the public outcry in 1983 when Citgo actually tried to take down the sign. People protested. It's not that people loved Citgo petroleum products. They loved the icon. And why not? It's one of the only "placemakers" that define Kenmore Square today as anything but a busy cross-street in the insipid netherworld between BU and Fenway Park.

I don't care if it is taken down or not. I think I used to like it as a kid.

Maybe GE could just drop the CIT O, add an E and move it over to Fort Point.

The Citgo Sign is to Venezuela as Andy Warhol is to Campbell's Soup. It's art; pop flavor divorced from its meaning. The best reflection of that is the public outcry in 1983 when Citgo actually tried to take down the sign. People protested. It's not that people loved Citgo petroleum products. They loved the icon. And why not? It's one of the only "placemakers" that define Kenmore Square today as anything but a busy cross-street in the insipid netherworld between BU and Fenway Park.

That's nonsense. It's a billboard for Citgo. Yes, it has taken on a different meaning for people, but it's certainly not divorced from the company. Citgo did try to take it down in the 80s, but now insists on it staying.

I understand that it is important to people. When I first moved to Boston someone explained to me that it was important. People seem to think it is a lot older than it actually is.

I am a Red Sox fan. Would as many people be upset with removing the citgo logo if it was replaced with a Sox logo?

That would actually be pretty bad ass to have a pair of neon read socks lighting up instead of a triangle.

I don't mind the Citgo sign per se, I just hate that it is becoming (has become?) the de facto symbol of Boston.

The Statue of Liberty
The Arch
The Space Needle
The Liberty Bell
The Golden Gate Bridge
The Citgo Sign

Am I the only person more concerned with the buildings under the sign than the sign itself? Kenmore Square has a really bad track record with new construction.

I'm there with you. It's certainly a space to watch, but I'll hold off until there're plans - I don't think the pressure is as acute as the Dainty Dot site, but not an impossibility that someone pulls a fast one. Whats the deal with the abutting 1 1/2 story old garage/showroom, is that part of the deal or owned separately?

Obviously try to keep the sign, it should be a non topic. Yea its just a fucking sign, its also the most recognizable part of Boston for some reason. Its interesting, its been here for a long time, its unusual, its Boston. Weird things like this make cities unique and interesting. When I was stationed in NC I would go to Raleigh and see the perfect roads, perfectly uniform concrete sidewalks, a stale as hell Tampa low rise excuse of a skyline, no brick, no limestone, no terra cotta, nothing interesting, nothing unique, just vanilla ice cream with a plain cone. Boring. Quirky things should be embraced. Knock down some "insignificant" old brick buildings here, put pavers on all new development there, and the next thing you know you slowly erode a lot of character.

i'll swap it for an 875' Boston Supertall.

public service announcement.

Jacoby Brissett out with torn ligament on his thumb (throwing hand).

i'll swap it for an 875' Boston Supertall.

public service announcement.

Jacoby Brissett out with torn ligament on his thumb (throwing hand).

Odd post.

But since you bumped the thread I've been thinking they should update the sign to be a full jumbotron to display different ads and public service announcements as well as the citgo sign. Maybe some artistic displays thrown in. Display the old citgo sign 25% of the time to throw a bone to the purists.

The only supertall we will ever have is the hard-on Odurandina has right now thinking about one in Kemore Square.

Last edited:

Back