Commuters Ditched Public Transit for Work From Home. Now There’s a Crisis.

For the 93 bus there used to be 18 min headways. Now IF they followed the schedule there would be 60+ min headways. The big IF there is that they don't have enough drivers so if they planned on having 3 drivers but only 2 show up the first 2 runs on the line in the morning run then the 3 run just doesn't. So now there is frequently a 2 hour gap in service. Ridership is down on the 93 bus at least in part because it is no longer a reliable method of getting to work.

Another issue is that to commute from downtown to Community College I always make sure I get on at State Street station because it's free because of the blue line. Not only is that taking another paying rider off the 93 but also isn't even tracked as a rider of the orange line.

Charlestown is the biggest transit desert that is 1 mile from downtown, which is actually one of the most insane things out there. With the North Washington Street bridge out of commission until the end of March 2025, the neighborhood has been left without transportation alternatives. The Sullivan Square New Rutherford project that would reconfigure the intersections in front of Community College and Sullivan, I haven't heard anything about. They were supposed to begin construction in 2023.

The T is only running 52% of pre-COVID service on the 93 and 64% for the 92. What used to be every 7-8 minutes rush hour is now only every half hour. Plus limited Route 92 service that operates a only few days a week until 9pm. If I filter the map to exclude service that runs less than 1 bus per hour, then no lines in Charlestown show up.

Boggles my mind. I suppose if they were to cut the terminal for the 92 and 93 from downtown to Haymarket, the T could use 2 buses and run more service, versus making a useless figure 8 loop right on top of the Orange and Green Lines. The T could opt to have the 92 and 93 buses make a right onto Congress from North St. to eliminate 5 minutes of runtime, which is 5 minutes shorter headways.
1691004166520.png

For the 93 bus there used to be 18 min headways. Now IF they followed the schedule there would be 60+ min headways. The big IF there is that they don't have enough drivers so if they planned on having 3 drivers but only 2 show up the first 2 runs on the line in the morning run then the 3 run just doesn't. So now there is frequently a 2 hour gap in service. Ridership is down on the 93 bus at least in part because it is no longer a reliable method of getting to work.

Another issue is that to commute from downtown to Community College I always make sure I get on at State Street station because it's free because of the blue line. Not only is that taking another paying rider off the 93 but also isn't even tracked as a rider of the orange line.
At least the Bus Network Redesign plans to turn both the 93 and (most of) the 92 corridor into 15-min Frequent Bus Routes, merging with the T7 and T101 respectively, albeit cutting off downtown access for the 92 in place of a one-seat ride to Kendall.

This should improve service to Charlestown massively, especially if the T7 maintains is current frequency of 7 minutes in South Boston during peak hours.

The question is how long it takes for that to happen, with the current operator shortages.

At least the Bus Network Redesign plans to turn both the 93 and (most of) the 92 corridor into 15-min Frequent Bus Routes, merging with the T7 and T101 respectively, albeit cutting off downtown access for the 92 in place of a one-seat ride to Kendall.

This should improve service to Charlestown massively, especially if the T7 maintains is current frequency of 7 minutes in South Boston during peak hours.

The question is how long it takes for that to happen, with the current operator shortages.

I can't stress how much massive cuts to the 92 and 93 they made since 2016. Also, one other note, Route 93 pre-COVID AM peak still wouldn't be restored. The headway was supposed to be every 7 minutes during the AM peak between 6:55 a.m. and 8:40 a.m., but BNRD will only bring it up to every 8 minutes.

HeadwayRt 93 (2017)Rt 93 (2023)Rt 92 (2017)Rt 92 (2023)BNRD changes
AM peak7 - 8 min (7 buses)23 - 30 min (3 buses)12 - 16 min (4 buses)26 - 45 min (2 buses)8 min
Midday15 - 18 min (3 - 4 buses)40 - 50 min (2 buses)30 min (2 buses)50 - 60 min (1 bus)12 min
PM peak8 - 9 min (7 buses)30 - 32 min (3 buses)13 - 17 min (4 buses)30 - 35 min (2 buses)8 min
Evening35 min (1 bus)45 min (1 bus)35 - 40 min (1 bus to 10:15p)40 min (1 bus to 9:40p)15 min
Saturday20 min (3 buses)24 - 40 min (1 - 2.5 buses)20 - 23 min (2 - 2.5 buses)24 - 35 min (1 - 2.5 buses)12 min
Sunday40 min (1 bus)65 min (<1 bus)--12 - 15 min

Across the United States, many transit agencies continue to face fiscal cliffs, staff shortages, and endless service cuts and frequency reductions, since the COVID-19 pandemic. Chicago's CTA has continued to cut down on service and reduce frequency, impacting the recovery of downtown Chicago post-COVID.

WMATA proposes 2,000 layoffs, shutting down of 10 subway stations, and the elimination of 67 bus routes, in the U.S.'s capital city. Fare hikes of 20% are also included.

All of these may occur due to the impending fiscal cliff, given the reduced fare revenue from fewer commuters post-COVID. This is even as DC managed to restore full subway service and the implementation of night buses. The fare revenues are still not enough.

Anyone know if there are related drives--statewide or nationally--to get public spending on roadways in line? If use fees are supposed to be what funds transportation funding, I'm not sure why transit should be the only mode subject to that expectation....

Anyone know if there are related drives--statewide or nationally--to get public spending on roadways in line? If use fees are supposed to be what funds transportation funding, I'm not sure why transit should be the only mode subject to that expectation....
WMATA's farebox recovery rate pre-pandemic was around 33% from what I can find, and is obviously worse now. That is lower than what most estimates of road funding come up with for the portion paid by user fees.

While neither come close to "paying their way", and I don't think that should be the primary goal of transit services, I'm not sure this would really be a winning argument for transit funding.

Reactions: W-4
It doesn't help that they keep moving most federal offices outside the district...

Rhode Island's bus transit system is on the verge of a fiscal cliff. All Sunday and holiday service in the state would be cancelled, plus elimination of fixed route services from many towns, and major catastrophic service frequency cuts on all remaining routes.

The fiscal cliff for Rhode Island's transit system is set to arrive by June 2024, this summer.

1705686832911.png

1705687105890.png

In Pennsylvania, Gov. Shaprio proposes allocation an extra share of its state sales tax to fend off SEPTA's fiscal cliff. It would be the largest increase in state funding for transit since 2013.

Gov. Shapiro to propose $282.8 million in new state money for SEPTA and other transit agencies​

SEPTA says it would be able to hold off cuts with money from its service stabilization fund until its share of Shapiro's proposed $282.8 million arrived.
Growing numbers of transit advocates and riders in the Philadelphia region have begun to protest the looming SEPTA cuts and demand more stable state support for transit, including a coalition in Northwest Philadelphia that is rallying around two threatened Regional Rail lines.

While this boost in funding would prevent service cuts for SEPTA and the Philly region. This is in stark contrast to what the MBTA faces back here in Massachusetts.

For comparison, Gov. Healey of Massachusetts proposed adding only $172M in state support for the MBTA. This still leaves the MBTA with a $93 million shortfall for FY25.

Healey funding plan not enough to close T's budget gap​

MBTA Chief Financial Officer Mary Ann O'Hara said budget-writers will need to find another $93 million in fiscal year 2025 to balance the T's revenues and expenses, even after accounting for the extra funding Healey's state spending plan would provide, if approved by the Legislature, and draining the last tranche of stashed-away federal pandemic aid.

Last edited:
Rhode Island's bus transit system is on the verge of a fiscal cliff. All Sunday and holiday service in the state would be cancelled, plus elimination of fixed route services from many towns, and major catastrophic service frequency cuts on all remaining routes.

The fiscal cliff for Rhode Island's transit system is set to arrive by June 2024, this summer.

View attachment 46905

View attachment 46908
RIPTA in Rhode Island to make massive sweeping bus transit service cuts and cancellation of a dozen routes by April, due to an ongoing hiring shortage. Due to the impending budget shortfalls, RIPTA has major difficulties in hiring.

The service cuts come April 2024 are only a slap in the face for transit riders in Rhode Island, as the fiscal cliff threatens massive sweeping cuts across all RIPTA services come July 2024.

Last edited:
Massachusetts Governor Healey proposes funding cuts for Massachusetts RTAs (regional transit agencies)

After historic budget increase, Governor proposes RTA funding cut​

Governor Healey's proposed 2025 budget would put a major dent in that new funding, reducing the total available for RTAs from $184 million this year to $169 million next year. Taking a 3 percent inflation rate into account, this would amount to an 11 percent budget cut for the RTAs.

Massachusetts Governor Healey proposes funding cuts for Massachusetts RTAs (regional transit agencies)
I think context is important here. If I grok'ed the article correctly, last year the RTAs received a 91% increase in funding thanks to $90M in "fair share" funding. The new budget reduces that funding to $75M. It's definitely a big chunk less than last year, but still a huge improvement compared to the slightly less recent past.

Does anyone know what the actual impact of that decrease would be?

Back