Conversational tone

What is your perfered method of communication on ArchBoston?

• I perfer a commodious, enlightened vocabuary, filled with eloquent locution.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it when people just post using normal, intelligent, proper English

• I r in ur base eatin ur cheezburger 'kay? OMGWTFBBQ LOLZ!!one!1eleventy!

• Total voters

statler

Reaction score
Well?

299000164_4d7398dbf6.jpg

youeatedcookie.jpg

I prefer it when people have childish cat fights over ideas they have no idea what they are really talking about because they are immature jack-offs who think they are hot shit because they are on teh internets.

Am I in the right place?

ablarc said:
One is a subcategory of two.

The word 'normal' differentiates the two.

You (and Beton, and justin) often use words that aren't used in everyday, 'normal' conversations.
It doesn't bother me (I enjoy looking up new words and phrases in Google) but it seems to rankle some. I don't know why. (Well I do, but I'm too polite to spell it out) I guess I was just curious to see if there were any strong feelings on the matter. Lord knows I've been known to torture our fine language when posting in a hurry.
'Intelligent' & 'proper' separates two from three.
It just seemed like there was an increase in leEt-speak and I was trying to use peer-moderation to stem the tide. I think I failed.

P.S. Technically, all three are subcategories of 'English'.

Though I appreciate felicity of phrase, I disdain ostentatious and pedantical posts overly concerned with formalisms and designed to showcase one's vertiginous erudition.

No I don't, I actually appreciate someone who can write well, if only because it helps me hone my own ability to write. You can only listen to words and ideas of those limited in vocabulary for so long before getting bored. But on the other hand, one need not unnecessarily state truisms in fancy language. The best form of communication is that which is pithy, laconic, and artfully composed.

LOLz that's a lot of vocab werdz!~! :p

statler said:
You (and Beton, and justin) often use words that aren't used in everyday, 'normal' conversations.

(Back from the hell that is West Palm Beach.)

Thanks statler -- my folks will be happy to know that their generous contributions toward my education have not gone entirely to waste...Having grown up in East Boston (son of a Marine turned state trooper), I can swear like a sailor...There are plenty of times I'd like to drop an f-bomb, but I find cursing so much more satisfying in the "real" world...

In light of the recent fisticuffs at Symphony Hall, perhaps I could try channeling the late, great Russell Jones (AKA Ol' Dirty Bastard) in my next few posts)...

Google "Boston Pops" fight and you'll find out. One guy tried to get the other to stop talking during the performance, and ...

Things poppin' at the Pops...

Too bad they didn't interview the participants. That would have been funny.

people who use ridiculous amounts of big words (i cant think of anyone on this board) are just being pricks. people who use a moderate amount of bigger words just make me respect them more. people who use l33t sp34k are fucking morons.

Back