Convert SL Waterfront to Light Rail?

ckb

Reaction score
Brought over from the Photo of the Day thread, in response to a comment that the Waterfront portion of the Silver Line can experience crush loads, and this will only get worse as development of the area (finally) proceeds.

How hard would it be to convert at least the SBWaterfront portion of the Silver Line to light rail (ignoring cost)?

This is what should have happened in the first place. And if not, a possible future conversion to light rail should have been planned.

Of course, the federal government was offering funds for "bus rapid transit", and only "bus rapid transit" so that's what we got, with no obvious provision for conversion to light rail.

Another primary difficulty is that you can't run light rail in the Ted Williams Tunnel, so to keep the direct connection from Logan to South Station, it would have to be a combination of bus and light rail. Which is possible, but also likely still not as efficient as an all light rail tunnel.

Final comment on that point, though, is ... is the Silver Line tunnel really that efficient for bus traffic from South Station to Logan? Since there isn't a direct connection from the bus tunnel to the Ted Williams Tunnel, the buses already spend a lot of time on surface streets (plus the time to make the switch from electric to diesel). Driving on Congress St would probably be just as fast.

The Silver Line was supposed to be designed for easy and eventual conversion to light rail. I don't know if this was actually built this way.

Years ago(15-20?) there was a suggestion that the Red Line be diverted after the Broadway stop into the South Boston s Seaport and then on to South Station. This was in regards to a proposed stadium or perhaps the convention center.

I dont see the point.

The route isnt long enough to warrant a change to light rail. 3 stops and you're on city streets.

Step one should be to increase frequencies. My trip going, and return trip were both standing room. I got lucky and didnt have to wait long, but the amount of people indicated that there had been a wait. This was a friday trip, and was distributed as follows:

South Station: Crush load
Courthouse: About 15 people got off, space, but still standing
WTC: About 20 people got off, some still standing.
I got off there, but the bus continued to airport.

SL3 service is all but dead, did they change those buses to SL1 and 2. or just cut the capacity?

I propose:

Extend the overhead wire around the SL2 route. Its industry now, so no NIMBYs. Get the wire in before people move into the area. This wont help capacity, but its something that should be done.

Signal priority at grade crossing between WTC and Silver Line Way. Its a long wait.

Theres also a wait on the way back, as buses have to pause to make sure theyre not identified as terrorists.

Try a non rail guidance system. Buses are slow in tunnels because theres very little error room. I wouldnt want to be driving the bus.

Finish phase 3. Its expensive, but it will be necessary as people move into the neighborhood. Not so much to get people from WTC to Dudley, but to get people to the green line at Boylston.

The Silver Line was supposed to be designed for easy and eventual conversion to light rail. I don't know if this was actually built this way.

Years ago(15-20?) there was a suggestion that the Red Line be diverted after the Broadway stop into the South Boston s Seaport and then on to South Station. This was in regards to a proposed stadium or perhaps the convention center.

SL4 (shows at south station maps) Would continue onto Andrew.

A bus tunnel needs to be wider than a rail one since it needs the clearance for the less controlled turns. So the tunnel as built just needs some rails plopped down, but embedded in pavement so that it can be shared by buses to Logan. The buses could turn around at the existing SS loop, and the trolleys continue to Boylston.

Of course, it won't happen.

Okay, obvious question, but whyyyyyyyyyyyyy are there traffic signals to wait for??????????

I HATE THE SILVER LINE!!!!!!!

I've never understood why there is a traffic light at D Street at all. This is a minor, lightly-travelled street. The Silver Line bus could easily cross it (maybe one side at a time) at a STOP sign.

I think it's because you can't count on T workers to be smart. By the same token bus drivers are required to stop at all train crossing and look both ways even when there are no train signals flashing.

I've never understood why there is a traffic light at D Street at all. This is a minor, lightly-travelled street. The Silver Line bus could easily cross it (maybe one side at a time) at a STOP sign.

At most times of day, this is true. During morning and evening rush hours (or peak traffic times for events at the convention centers or pavilion) the traffic can be pretty busy.

What I've never understood is why the buses couldn't make the power switch at WTC station (at least for the inbound buses from Logan it would mean only a series of right turns after the Ted Williams tunnel). Or, the expensive solution - why the tunnel portal is on the west side of D street and not the east side ... emerging underneath Manulife building. The traffic light could have been avoided entirely, and some (very far in the future) development on D street wouldn't have had its street wall interrupted.

Back