CSX and Allston rail yards

Shepard

Reaction score
This could potentially be very important for regional transit and even the future of urban rapid transit (allows me to dream a little bit more about an RER-like service on the Worcester line through A/B and Newton using DMUs, similar to Indigo Line proposals on the Fairmount line).

From Universal Hub - I couldn't find a major news source as of just now.

CSX, state agree to move freight cars out of Allston, improve Worcester Line service
By adamg - Wed, 09/23/2009 - 10:03am.
Lt. Gov. Tim Murray announced this morning the state and the giant railroad have resolved the last stumbling block to a massive deal that will, among other things, clear out the Allston freight yards and give the MBTA complete control over the train line to Worcester.

Under the agreement, the state will buy the Worcester Line, potentially leading to reduced delays now caused by CSX dispatch rules - as well as a freight line from Beacon Park Yard in Allston through Cambridge to East Boston from CSX.

The Beacon Park Yard move will clear the way for the addition of commuter-rail service to Allston/Brighton, possible help enable the long-fabled Urban Ring project and give Harvard, which already owns the yard, more cleared land that it can then let sit fallow.

Ed. note: I have a call in to find out about timing and costs.

Under the agreement, the state and CSX will also share the cost of rebuilding bridges along a main freight line from 495 to the New York line to allow double-stack freight trains.

Murray said the Worcester Line will also get new signaling systems to reduce the odds of collisions and that the state and CSX will better coordinate train scheduling to further reduce the odds of delay.

All of this comes after the state and CSX agreed on a plan to deal with liability for any potential train collisions: CSX will contribute $500,000 to help defray the cost of the liability insurance policy the MBTA carries for the entire commuter system. And CSX agreed that if an accident happens anyway and CSX or its operators are "clearly at fault," the railroad will be responsible to pay the deductible on that policy, up to a maximum of $7.5 million per accident.

Wow. I'll miss the industrial vibe, but what an amazing development opportunity.

Single family homes and parks.

Harvard already owns the land. Whether that is good or bad shall be seen in 40 years.

Judging by recent Harvard development, i would say you are spot on. The grad school housing complex thing (on memorial drive?) was a joke imo.

More than likely this land will sit vacant for the next 10 years.

A very thorough thread at railroad.net

... Unless I'm misunderstanding railfan jargon, it seems that one of the tradeoffs associated with this move is that freight can now only get as close as Westboro - meaning that Boston Harbor can now only be served by trucking out West. Huge increase in truck traffic on the Pike, potentially.

Judging by recent Harvard development, i would say you are spot on. The grad school housing complex thing (on memorial drive?) was a joke imo.

Which one? The project with the imitation three-deckers? Harvard was limited by a ridiculously hostile neighborhood that crushed what would have been a mostly underground museum on the site on the basis they would lose their view. Against that, the university could achieve nothing.

At least on the CSX site there's plenty of space at a decent distance from existing abutters.

... Unless I'm misunderstanding railfan jargon, it seems that one of the tradeoffs associated with this move is that freight can now only get as close as Westboro - meaning that Boston Harbor can now only be served by trucking out West. Huge increase in truck traffic on the Pike, potentially.

Why couldn't rail still service the harbor and just shunt cars around at a yard further out? It shouldn't make any difference whether the cars transfer trains at Allston v. Westboro.

As far as I can make out, the yard IS the freight terminus. Very limited direct rail access actually serves the harbor. Trucks go from harbor to Allston currently, and would need to go from harbor to Westboro in the future.

Then again, this isn't my forte.

I'm under the impression that the state partially rebuilt the rail line to black falcon or the marine industrial park. The line parallels Summer Street and the Bypass Road in South Boston.

I have no idea if it's used but the tracks were put back in after the convention center was built.

I've definitely seen freight trains idling alongside the Pike near Fenway Park...no idea if they were just being staged there, though.

Land at a premium, railroad exploits its air space

Cranes will let new CSX yard move more freight without adding acreage
By John Dyer
Globe Correspondent / February 14, 2011

A railroad freight yard takes up a lot of space. There needs to be room for the trains and for the trucks, and plenty of room to move cargo between the two.

So when the rail giant CSX Corp. was looking to replace its Beacon Park rail yards next to the Massachusetts Turnpike in Allston with a state-of-the-art yard, it turned to Worcester.

At a cost of $100 million, CSX will expand its 58-acre Worcester freight yard to 79 acres, making it roughly the same size as the Beacon Park yard. The new yard is scheduled for completion next year, and CSX plans to shut down the Allston property, according to documents filed with the state. But even though the Worcester yard will grow, it sits near the city?s downtown, sandwiched between two entertainment districts. That keeps space at a premium ? horizontal space, that is.

Still, the Worcester yard will handle more cargo. The trick? Air space.

In the revamped CSX terminal, 22-foot-high cranes will move cargo containers between freight trains and tractor-trailer trucks, a system that requires a smaller footprint than the forklift-like side loaders that workers drive to move containers at Beacon Park, CSX engineers said. The side loaders need room to maneuver around the trains and trucks, while most of the space occupied by the overhead crane is above the train.

?It creates more fluidity,?? said Maurice O?Connell, CSX?s vice president for state government and community affairs. ?Overhead cranes are not pulling in and out. You don?t create traffic congestion.??

After the expansion, CSX expects the terminal to be able to handle Worcester?s current annual traffic of 108,000 containers plus the approximately 32,000 containers that stop in Allston every year, along with as many as 60,000 additional containers in future years.

Many of those extra containers are expected to travel through Massachusetts after state transportation officials complete an $80 million project to raise bridges and lower track beds from Interstate 495 to the New York border, allowing CSX to double-stack cargo containers on trains terminating in Worcester.

?That obviously is an exploitation of three-dimensional space,?? said Carl Warren, CSX?s director of strategic infrastructure.

The bridge project and the rail yard are the results of a deal between CSX and Governor Deval Patrick that has the state purchasing CSX-owned tracks so the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority can run commuter trains between Worcester and Boston more frequently.

Under the deal, the CSX subsidiary that hauls chemicals, TRANSFLO Terminal Services Inc., will move from Allston to Westborough. TRANSFLO uses five acres in Allston, said CSX spokesman Robert Sullivan.

The changes mean higher volumes, less overhead, and more profit for the rail company, Warren said. ?There?s this direction our industry is going, with an increased emphasis on density and stacking,?? he said, adding that the goal is ?using space very efficiently, rather than having a big parking lot.??

The shift to overhead cranes is an example of how the rail industry is becoming more streamlined, especially in places like Greater Boston, where the population has grown over the years while the amount of available real estate remains the same, said Marc Levinson, an economist and author of ?The Box,?? a 2006 book about how shipping containers transformed the world?s economy.

Levinson said freight rail operators sometimes lag in adopting new methods because they have invested enormous sums in infrastructure and can?t afford to stop work at an outdated terminal while waiting for improvements. Under CSX?s deal with the state, the company will continue to use the Beacon Park yards as it rebuilds in Worcester.

?There has been for a good while a lot of interest in improving the amount of freight moving through terminals,?? Levinson said. ?There is certainly a lot of feeling that terminals are not necessarily run with a lot of efficiency. They want to move the cargo off the train, and they want to do that as quickly as possible. Time is money. They don?t want stuff sitting around.??

Side loaders can load and unload containers weighing about 90,000 pounds as quickly as overhead cranes can ? about 30 an hour, said Carl Martland, a retired senior research associate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who studies train networks. But in the long run, side loaders waste time shuttling containers back and forth.

?It?s more cumbersome because you need to go in, get close to the train, then go back to the truck and drop it down,?? Martland said.

The side loaders also get in each other?s way as they hustle to reach the train, slowing down the process. ?It?s bellying up to the bar, and somebody?s already standing in front of you,?? he said.

With cranes, on the other hand, trucks drive alongside the train to be unloaded, saving time as the process becomes an assembly line. Most new train depots are built on this model, Martland said. ?Cranes are favored where you have problems with space,?? he added.

To keep trucks rolling in and out smoothly, the Worcester yard will assign each vehicle a numbered parking spot so drivers can wait in line for their cargo. In Allston, there is no similar system to help truckers find the side loaders carrying the containers they are supposed to pick up, O?Connell said. In that way, the cranes will help lessen the confusion.

?You don?t have trucks hunting and pecking,?? O?Connell said. ?They drive to the crane and they load it right on, like you are going to the dry cleaner and getting your clothes."

Link

Read this while my History professor taught nothing. Frankly I don't see why they couldn't just upgrade the Boston facility to make it so efficient... Fact is, CSX doesn't want to deal with Mass anymore, they want out. Soon Worcester will fall to the side, I'm sure. Or they'll just kick themselves if/when Boston freight options improve.

^ doesn't really sound like they want out since they are making major upgrades based on future capacity increases. They more than likely saw harvard and BU building around them and thought, this land in allston is much more valuable as developable real estate than our train yard, sell it, bank $, move to cheaper 495 help. all in all, this is a good deal for csx and the state.

Read this while my History professor taught nothing. Frankly I don't see why they couldn't just upgrade the Boston facility to make it so efficient... Fact is, CSX doesn't want to deal with Mass anymore, they want out. Soon Worcester will fall to the side, I'm sure. Or they'll just kick themselves if/when Boston freight options improve.

If they are talking about using tall cranes, it wouldn't be as practical at Beacon Yard, much of which is covered by the turnpike. At least that's my layman's analysis.

The other points going against a revamped Beacon Yard:
  • CSX does not own it (Harvard does)
  • The city does not want it there (favoring development)
  • The state does not want it there (favoring a wider row for MBTA trains)

If they are talking about using tall cranes, it wouldn't be as practical at Beacon Yard, much of which is covered by the turnpike. At least that's my layman's analysis.

The other points going against a revamped Beacon Yard:
  • CSX does not own it (Harvard does)
  • The city does not want it there (favoring development)
  • The state does not want it there (favoring a wider row for MBTA trains)

In a few decades when the highways are clogged with trucks, from the lack of any rail yards in the city limits, and the port is woefully undersized, thanks to 128 on the waterfront, someone at the BRA will get a golden parachute for a 'heckuva job'.

CSX isn't a real freight railroad, it is real estate liquidation company. We badly need Norfolk Southern in the northeast before every bit of freight infrastructure is irreparably dismantled by drooling idiots.

Back