Davis Square Lab | 231-249 Elm Street and Grove Street | Somerville

Politicians on the take? Lol, no. The world isn't a giant conspiracy theory.

In the case of liquor laws, it's really simple: the vast majority of people would absolutely love to see more liquor licenses. . . but it's not really an important issue to that majority. But to whom is it a very important issue? Current restaurant and bar owners, who already paid hundreds of thousands for their license, and who depend on the existing system to provide them with an incredibly valuable asset that they can unload when they need to.

So in short: the people who really care about the liquor license regime in Massachusetts don't want it to change, and lobby hard to keep things the way they are. Meanwhile, there isn't really any interested party to organize an active opposition to them. That's all there is to it.

politicians in bed with, on the take, same thing. There was one very big MA politician that was 100% in the bag for corporate restaurant interests recently so LOL haha sarcastic face, youre wrong

Politicians on the take? Lol, no. The world isn't a giant conspiracy theory.

In the case of liquor laws, it's really simple: the vast majority of people would absolutely love to see more liquor licenses. . . but it's not really an important issue to that majority. But to whom is it a very important issue? Current restaurant and bar owners, who already paid hundreds of thousands for their license, and who depend on the existing system to provide them with an incredibly valuable asset that they can unload when they need to.

So in short: the people who really care about the liquor license regime in Massachusetts don't want it to change, and lobby hard to keep things the way they are. Meanwhile, there isn't really any interested party to organize an active opposition to them. That's all there is to it.

Other important players here are the banks. A lot of restaurants pledge their valuable licenses as collateral for the loans. If the licenses tank, the loans tank.

politicians in bed with, on the take, same thing. There was one very big MA politician that was 100% in the bag for corporate restaurant interests recently so LOL haha sarcastic face, youre wrong

No, it's not the same thing, like at all. Politicians respond to the interests of their constituents. Restaurant owners are their constituents, too. If they lobby, pressure, and provide legal funding to politicians in service of a policy goal they want to pursue, they are free to do so, as is anyone else. That's not the same thing as receiving briefcases full of cash.

No, it's not the same thing, like at all. Politicians respond to the interests of their constituents. Restaurant owners are their constituents, too. If they lobby, pressure, and provide legal funding to politicians in service of a policy goal they want to pursue, they are free to do so, as is anyone else. That's not the same thing as receiving briefcases full of cash.

This is a laughably naive take on how corruption works.

This is a laughably naive take on how corruption works.

Jesus Christ, an interest group pressuring politicians to do something - perhaps with, oh the horror, campaign financing! - and then the politicians doing that thing, is not corruption. If you have evidence that Lydia Shire is paying for vacations for mass state legislators in exchange for maintaining the licensing regime, feel free to provide it.

This guy might be THE MOST naive, or maybe just arguing in bad faith because he thinks its self-serving

My guy, I am literally a journalist who, among other things, has written extensively about corruption in Saudi Arabia, and I beg of you to understand what you're talking about.

Here is how the political process works 99% of the time:
  1. Groups of people sharing a common interest on a given political issue organize.
  2. Said group pressures public officeholders, usually via legal campaign funding and votes, to support given political issue.
  3. Public officeholders support issue.
That's it! That's how the world works!

Is there also unlawful corruption? Yes, frequently! But to suggest that there is definitely unlawful corruption with respect to liquor licenses when anyone who has taken one single poli sci course can see exactly what's happening -- that there is no interested party to oppose the restaurant owners -- is seriously asinine. If you actually think that a group of almost exclusively middle class small business owners operating in a notoriously unprofitable industry are illegally buying off the Massachusetts General Court for an issue on which there really is no organized opposition, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
My guy, I am literally a journalist who, among other things, has written extensively about corruption in Saudi Arabia, and I beg of you to understand what you're talking about.

Here is how the political process works 99% of the time:
  1. Groups of people sharing a common interest on a given political issue organize.
  2. Said group pressures public officeholders, usually via legal campaign funding and votes, to support given political issue.
  3. Public officeholders support issue.
That's it! That's how the world works!

Is there also unlawful corruption? Yes, frequently! But to suggest that there is definitely unlawful corruption with respect to liquor licenses when anyone who has taken one single poli sci course can see exactly what's happening -- that there is no interested party to oppose the restaurant owners -- is seriously asinine. If you actually think that a group of almost exclusively middle class small business owners operating in a notoriously unprofitable industry are illegally buying off the Massachusetts General Court for an issue on which there really is no organized opposition, I don't know what to tell you.

Thanks for explaining it to me like I'm 5, appreciate that. Its not worth my time to argue with people who cant see past their nose. Agree to disagree

That's too bad but not really a big deal. The Stop & Shop is not that much further away in Porter and there's still Pemberton Farms if you need more expensive stuff.

This isn't even the first time this thing has had an announcement like this. BFresh just isn't a model that has made money (the Newton one seems to be doing okay, but recall that the Allston one closed a while back).

Also... why is Springfield-based Masslive covering this, and how is a "popular" grocery store closing "because of underperforming sales"? Can't be that popular, then...

How do we convince Scape to go back and try their original co-living apartments since the lab market is dead, but housing has increased demand? No way they just pressed "delete" on the designs for the 250-unit multifamily development.

The new ones down in Allston just opened - would love to see how they do.

Back