DCR Allston-Brighton Riverfront Parks and Parkways

Another from Birmingham Parkway: https://www.mass.gov/doc/roll-plan/download

View attachment 34431

Umm... what's the point of Birmingham Parkway, given this drawing? I know I have all my ideas, but within this diagram, why not get rid of it and just have North Beacon connect directly through SFR?

DCR is building SFR, MassDOT is building Birmingham, and neither seems to know or care what the other is doing when only one of these roads needs to exist.

Recall that IHOP and the Days Inn are bring redeveloped, and I'm sure Staples and McDonalds could soon follow. The time to reorient this stuff is now.
They are redundant roads. That piece of SFR wasn't even built until the 1950s, long after Birmingham Parkway had already been there for decades prior. My take on this roadway system is to abandon SFR, return that land to parks and trails, and have Birmingham Parkway be the through road. SFR is along the river which lends itself to parks and trails rather than roadway usage.

They are redundant roads. That piece of SFR wasn't even built until the 1950s, long after Birmingham Parkway had already been there for decades prior. My take on this roadway system is to abandon SFR, return that land to parks and trails, and have Birmingham Parkway be the through road. SFR is along the river which lends itself to parks and trails rather than roadway usage.

Agreed if they don't build a new Pike exit. The Birmingham alignment would need to be eaten by I-90 to accommodate that.

1711548313202.png

Still don't understand why they don't get rid of the Soldiers field road section along the waterfront and combine with this overbuilt road... Get asphalt off of DCR land!
1711548376499.png

Back