Downtown condo plans ditched

Mike

Reaction score
For anyone who isn't familiar with this one, this was originally proposed as Two Financial, a 300' office tower that was cut down to 155' by NIMBYs. After the office market went downhill the developers decided to go with a 15-story condo building instead.
It's interesting that this proposal died the same week 45 Province Street is starting construction. If I remember right, they were both approved by the BRA on the same day a few years ago.. and at that time both were seeking approval to change from office towers to condos.

Downtown condo plans ditched
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter
Wednesday, October 18, 2006

In another sign of the cooling condo market, a New York developer that had planned a major downtown Boston condo project is instead putting the building site on the sales market.

Rose Associates, which has City Hall permits to build a condo complex on the site, will instead seek buyers interested in building out the acre-sized parking lot.

The company said it will entertain offers from office developers as well as condo builders. Rose owns the 46-story One Financial Center office tower, which is adjacent to the building lot and just across Atlantic Avenue from South Station.

Link

That's too bad. From what I remember, I liked the design of the condo project.

I think this was the latest rendering for this one. Anyone have any of the older renderings from when this was going to be an office building?

nozoning.gif

Back