Downtown New Bedford in 1939

Lrfox

Reaction score
This is a video of Downtown New Bedford in 1939. It was taken by a couple on their honeymoon to the South Coast. It's incredible.

It's incredible to see how vibrant of a place it was back then with street cars, density, and people everywhere.

Thankfully, much of that architecture is still in place and the density of downtown still exists. The city has lucked out in that regard. Restaurants, galleries, museums, and people are starting to come back to the downtown area, but it has a ways to go before it ever returns to state it was in in 1939.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwVBaAp34sE

Wow. If you hadn't told me that was New Bedford I would have never imagined it. Of course a lot of New England cities were real cities back then, only to be hit hard by the first wave of deindustrialization.

Yeah, it was weird to see that type of vitality. I actually didn't believe it was New Bedford until the last 45 second where I recognized a few buildings an read "New Bedford" on a boat.

Growing up in Fairhaven I have crossed that bridge MANY times! it was cool to see the top of the old New Bedford Hotel. My Dad told me there use to be a ballroom and rooftop garden up there. From the video it looked like it was very ornate on the top. Wish they could restore it back to that state and re-establish the ballroom! It would have incredible views of the city and the bay!

The hotel wasnt demolished. It was remodeled into senior housing. I am sure the ballroom space was split up into apartments.

Nice video find Lrfox, those were the days

Nice video find Lrfox, those were the days

Thanks! They sure were the days. I do wish they could turn that hotel back into its original purpose (It was converted in the 80s right?). Anyway, I think the top floor of the Regency Tower would make a great place for a Ballroom/Lounge/ Restaurant. It's the tallest building in the city and it would provide excellent views of the city, bay, and islands (you can see Martha's Vinyard from there). I have heard rumblings that Trinity company (the company renovating it) may do this. It would be similar to the very successful "Top of the East" at the Eastland Hotel in Portland (Though I believe Regency is a bit taller).

Back