East Boston Municipal Harbor Plan gets a go-ahead. Downtown Harbor Plan gets a delay.

stellarfun

Reaction score
As the Pinnacle thread is locked, I'll post the announcement from Mayor Wo on both in this thread.

.... her administration will focus first on a new municipal harbor plan for East Boston. It would build on coastal resilience planning already underway in the neighborhood, which is “incredibly vulnerable” to sea-level rise and other climate change realities, said the Rev. Mariama White-Hammond, the city’s chief of environment, energy and open spaces.

White-Hammond said that, while the city would not necessarily wait until an East Boston MHP is completed to turn its focus back to amending a downtown MHP, the focus would first and foremost be on East Boston.

That ruling is under appeal, but then-Acting Mayor Kim Janey signaled her desire to rewrite the downtown MHP, and Wu’s action Wednesday is a key step in that process. In the meantime, both Pinnacle and a proposal for a hotel at the Hook Lobster site are on hold, the city said.

Wu notified the state of both the plan to amend the downtown MHP and launch an East Boston MHP in a Feb. 16 letter to Lisa Berry Engler, director of the Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management.

“As a result of the climate analysis we have done and the subsequent public engagement we have started, it has become clear that further refinement of this harbor plan needs to occur,” Wu’s letter states. The amendment will “address the issues raised by the analysis completed and feedback received since 2018,” the letter states.

As good as that is for the protection of the area around the harbor, it still stings to think that friggin ugly ass garage in such a highly visible, high foot traffic area has to remain for who knows how many more years. Ugh. I mean, no one wants the seawall to deteriorate and the city to crumble into the ocean, of course, but...

Did they lose their parking yet? Wasn’t it February 22 the long term lease expires?

I believe the easement ends in February 2022. IIRC, it was a 50 year easement. Now, no dedicated spaces and market rate??!!!

Feb. 28th. Not that I'm counting ;-). Then again, I don't actually know the actual implications.

The Don is sitting pretty here as the owner of that damn hulk of a harbor garage where the Harbor Tower residents park their cars, and I can't help but think "Revenge is a dish best served cold"

Last edited:
I think it's sketchy that the Pinnacle thread was locked. It wasn't a vulgar or contentious discussion--just people expressing legitimate disgust with the hypocrisy of the tower folks and aquarium's 'environmentalist' and 'social justice' campaigns to preserve their own property interests.

Back