Emerson College - Little Building Addition + Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downtown

tmac9wr

Reaction score
Curbed has this story about the reformation of Emerson's "Little Building", which is on the corner of Boylston & Tremont. Will add 294 beds, had a reformation of the current façade and some other new additions. Looks really cool.

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2...building-dorm-getting-294-beds-new-facade.php

CCvn19CUsAEnQJr.jpg%20large.jpg

Re: Dorm Tower @ Emerson College | 1-3 Boylston Place | Downtown

^ The Little Building renovation/expansion was approved at the BRA meeting last Thursday. I couldn't find a thread for the Little Building though and forgot to post it somewhere. I thought we had discussed the impending renovation somewhere.

Anyway, it's quite a handsome and classy project.

Eww.... The glass infill reminds me of the crappy infill RKO Theater/Walgreens building on Washington St.

While I really like the aesthetic impact of the glass infill, I think the coolest part of this project is that they are adding an entire floor that goes unnoticed because it's set back behind the existing 14' parapet.

It's not bad, but I love it the way it is: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.352354,-71.064499,3a,75y,231.99h,114.98t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHOsD6VsbayWGa9nKdxpKiA!2e0

If the facade that they're going to destroy to fill in w/ the glass wasn't so pretty I wouldn't object, but the building is so handsome like it is.

Exactly how I feel. It's not a bad design, but it's still a downgrade (aesthetically) from what is there now.

Two steps forward (upgrading the building) and one step backward (glass infill)....

Love it.

cca

Mods - can we split off the posts on the Little Building renovation?

That (decent) project is not the (gut-wrenching) destruction of Boylston Place. Would be good to keep separate. Thanks!

Re: Emerson College - Little Building Addition/Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downtown

Two steps forward (upgrading the building) and one step backward (glass infill)....

That's about how I feel. I prefer the building the way it is but as Frankenstein jobs go, this is pretty good, and almost 300 new beds for students is huge.

Re: Emerson College - Little Building Addition/Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downtown

That's about how I feel. I prefer the building the way it is but as Frankenstein jobs go, this is pretty good, and almost 300 new beds for students is huge.

Not to mention they're also building the Boylston Pl dorm too.

Hopefully it is really high quality and light glass. Perhaps something the glass used on the Apple store?

Ah was looking for this thread. Found it! Bumping since this In Progress now. Still hope we're getting high quality glass here otherwise they're ruining this building.

They should take a lane from Tremont and widen the sidewalks here.

we keep adding floors on old buildings

and cutting floors on new buildings.

Is it too much to hope that maybe they are saving the materials that are being removed in case some future generation has a change of heart and wants to do a proper restoration?

Is it too much to hope that maybe they are saving the materials that are being removed in case some future generation has a change of heart and wants to do a proper restoration?

I suspect that they are reusing whatever material they can salvage to restore the remaining facade. The entire facade of the Little Building has been crumbling for years. That is why the scaffolding has been up over the sidewalk for the past several years, to protect pedestrians from falling pieces.

Back