Emerson Piano Row Dorm

JoeGallows

Reaction score
Apparently the scaffolding collapse hadn't put this project on permanent hold because in this past week's Beacon Hill Times, I found an article titled "Emerson moves toward becoming a residential college."

The article speaks mostly about Emerson housing students in the past and the theater developments slated for the future, but offers a few, new, interesting paragraphs.

"Earlier this month, it received an offical dormitory license from the Licensing Board for the City of Boston to open the doors to its newly construced Piano Row Residence dorm in the Max Mutchnick Campus Center at 150 Boylston St [in September]. The new facility will add 560 more beds to its campus, now being consolidated in downtown Boston in the theater district. Earlier this year, the college had announced plans to convert parts of two historic downtown theaters into dorms as well."

"In Feb. the college announced plans to create a residence hall for 400 students on the top nine floors of the Colonial Building at 100 Boylston St, adjacent to the Little Building. The Colonial Theater, along with retail establishments, will remain on the ground level of the building."

Also, the article never mentions the scaffolding collapse at all, perhaps at the request of Emerson. It would seem too odd for the Beacon Hill Times not to complain about a new development.

Did anyone know that the opening of this building was never pushed back?

^ yea construction started back up only a few days after the accident. They said there would be no delay in the scheduled September opening at that time.

Photos from last week I was too laz-- uh, busy to post before.

Either the facade is not finished, or this building is a real disappointment for me....
PianoRow-01.jpg

PianoRow-02.jpg

Seems to be a pale imitation of the Little Building down the street:

LittleBuilding-01.jpg

Wow, you are on a tear Dave. Thanks for the updates! :D

Back