Facelifts

Here is the Pru Reclad project that you guys were refering to. Boston02104 sent this to me. Terry Gilliam movie anyone?

PruRedo.jpg

And for 1 Boston Place, I have always kind of liked it as well. It is such a serious and tough looking building in the vein of the Sears Tower and JHC. And it actually fits into the neighborhood as well.

The only tower in Boston that really disgusts me is 1 Beacon, and I don't think that Recladding is going to help that one. Someone needs to put a thin taller sexier building next to it instead
icon12.gif

^I like the base of that re-clad, but the whole project all together looks like some sort of Apollo rocket. The other thing is, given the tower's location in the complex, the only place where a pedestrian approaches (near) the base of the tower is on Boylston through the food court entrance, but that's soon to be gone in favor of a denser street wall (which will be a good thing).

Considering the way the Prudential center is filling in, a full Art-Deco style re-clad would look nice, especially in contrast to 111 Huntington's crown and glass. However, it looks like Dolle quit 1/3 of the way up and left the scaffolding to bridge the gap between the elegant base and the spire (which looks like a dumbed down Chrysler Building spire).

*Edit* I agree that One Beacon is terrible looking. Especially from any photo or view from the Charles River Basin. I am not sure that a skinnier/taller tower would make it look good, or just make it look stubbier and boxier than it already is. Something should be done.

Horrible. I like the Pru the way it is (simple, even elegant), save for the cheap/tacky lighting up top at night which could do with an upgrade.

Terry Gilliam movie anyone?

And like Brazil, very 1986. I hope the plan didn't include too many ducts - that place would be a nightmare for Central Services.

Back