Failed Development Projects | Portland

I was randomly thinking about this project this morning. How do you think the general NIMBY and transplant populace would react to this being proposed today, but as residential instead of commercial?
I think part of the failure was also due to an increase in the "meal tax" or something along those lines, which voters struck down. I think part of the tax increase was supposed to subsidize this development. But I can't entirely recall.

I think part of the failure was also due to an increase in the "meal tax" or something along those lines, which voters struck down. I think part of the tax increase was supposed to subsidize this development. But I can't entirely recall.

That was Boulos hotel/convention center/arena proposal in the 2000's. The one I replied to was the original huge Lincoln Square project proposed in the '80's. It was scaled back multiple times due to outcry over its size, and It was ultimately doomed by '90-'91 recession.

That was Boulos hotel/convention center/arena proposal in the 2000's. The one I replied to was the original huge Lincoln Square project proposed in the '80's. It was scaled back multiple times due to outcry over its size, and It was ultimately doomed by '90-'91 recession.
I think part of the confusion is ... the 90's was "Lincoln Square". The 2000's Convention Center was proposed to be named the "Lincoln Center"

I was in Commercial Lending downtown 2003-2006 when the "Lincoln Center" was being proposed.

Sand Castle-esque buildings was to be Lincoln Square. The interesting corner tower was to be Lincoln Center.

I was pretty excited about the design of Lincoln Center as it would have been entirely different for the skyline. I was bummed when it fell through. Sad to think of how many developments fell through due to recessions. Like the Cotton Street development that would have fit into the Old Port like a dream.

Attachments

• Lincoln_Square_1.jpg
    Lincoln_Square_1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Lincoln Center.jpg
    Lincoln Center.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 34

Back