Fifa World Cup 2006 in Germany

castevens

Reaction score
Anyone care about this?

I always watch all the matches that I'm around for, but I have very little overall interest in soccer (although more than many people). I have been to 3-4 New England Revolutions games, all with my cousin who gets free tickets. It's interesting, and I think the only reason that I am not as interested in the sport is because other people aren't. If I could be one of tens of thousands at Gillette stadium booing and cheering, it would make it a better experience than turning around to slap the hand of the empty seat behind me and next to me after a goal.

The US is apparently ranked 5th in the world, but most people think that is putting them wayy to high. It will be interesting to see, though, IMO.

I was in Frankfurt for a lay-over and the airport shops were all loaded with FIFA stuff; shirts, caps, etc. I've never been that into soccer (never been to a professional game) but I guess it's going to be huge. And yes, I heard that same thing about the US team being ranked way above what they should be. Honestly though, I don't know that much about it...

The people who are saying we're ranked too high are the same people who think England's going to win the whole thing. The US went to the quarters in 2002, and outplayed Germany, the runner-up, losing 1-0. We're at least a top 8 team. I'm not making any predictions but we belong in that top tier.

PerfectHandle said:
The people who are saying we're ranked too high are the same people who think England's going to win the whole thing. The US went to the quarters in 2002, and outplayed Germany, the runner-up, losing 1-0. We're at least a top 8 team. I'm not making any predictions but we belong in that top tier.

I don't think the US is a top 10 team. I also don't think England will win it all. Just because 4 years ago they outplayed Germany who went on to finish second, doesn't warrant a top 10 ranking.

It's VERY tough to rank teams in soccer because the teams don't play many games, and especially don't play the same teams multiple times in periods of time which would allow you to clearly see the better team.

I think it's going to be difficult for the US to make it out of their group. The Czech Repulic is a threat to win the whole thing, Italy isn't at their best but I still think that they're better than the US team.

I'm not a hater, or someone wishing the US team fails. Infact I hope they do well, and win the whole thing. I just don't think this is the year they make a big splash, their draw was really difficult.

Hmm. Well that proves that, huh? No one expects the U.S. team to even TIE Italy, and even if they win the 3rd game, a 1-2 team will likely not move on to the next round. But hey, anything can happen against Italy. I'll watch :)

Not to be negative but the way they played that first game, I don't think they'll win a single game in their group. Italy is a better team, that doesn't mean they'll win--but it's going to be just as difficult as the first game.

And Ghana really played well in their first match against Italy. A lot better than I expected, and I was one of the people who thought highly of Ghana.

There's two things that suck about this WC from a United States fan's point of view.

1- The Draw they got. This has to be one of the toughest Group's in the history of the World Cup. If the United States is a top 10 team, Top 5 according to FIFA--why would they be in a group with the #2, #13, and #48 ranked teams. It just seems odd, especially when you have the other #5 ranked team (Spain tied with U.S. for the 5th ranking) have #34 (Saudi Arabia), #21 (Tunisia), and #45 (Ukraine). That just seems absolutlely insane to me. They have to really figure out how to make the draws more even instead of picking the way they do.

2- The lack of passion from the US in Game 1. Traditionally in the World Cup the first game is the most important. A Win or a Draw is huge, a loss especially by 3 goals is...devastating. The US needed a close game, either way to have a chance and they decided to play this worse than a scrimmage. I didn't see any hustle or passion or will to want this game after the first goal was scored and that's what upsets me most.

haha nice link!

He tripped Zidane while down a little bit!! That's a red card right there!!

(sarcasm)

Back