Freeport Village Center

I think that this project is correcting a lot of stuff created by additions and expansions over the years that were done with no consideration of overall appearance, accessibility and efficiency. In a sense...LL Bean's Freeport campus is a microcosm of the entire State of Maine.

It's done, all 390,000 square feet of it, and 80% powered by solar energy! Who can boast that in Maine, or maybe anywhere else with a colder climate? Although, I am somewhat skeptical on this high of a number with all its glass for the winter months, but then maybe it's the yearly average estimate. Big article in PPH today about it, but if you don't subscribe, here's the architect page for better pics on it:

https://www.smrtinc.com/portfolio/casestudy/llbean-corporate-headquarters-freeport-maine/

Key points from the PPH article:

Untitled 767.jpg

Untitled 768.jpg

Last edited:
In today's PPH. One of the worst public shopping designs I have ever seen. It has a value of $32.5 million, but only if money is spent for a redesign. As it is now,
not worth nearly that. It's a cold and unwelcoming and somewhat confusing retail plaza. It needs at least $10 million for a fix. Any bets on what the highest bid
will be? If retail is de facto dead, what about a repurpose? But to what is the big question.

Entire block of downtown Freeport to be auctioned after developer breaches mortgage​

The Freeport Village Station retail center, which is valued at $32.5 million and includes an L.L.Bean outlet, is scheduled to be auctioned Wednesday as part of a foreclosure.

https://www.pressherald.com/2024/03...-auctioned-after-developer-breaches-mortgage/

38142868_20240226_freeport_1.jpg

It has too much of a suburban shopping mall feel (think Settlers Green in North Conway) than what people are probably looking for when they go for a shopping excursion in Freeport. I think tourists, to an extent, like the idea of shopping in an outlet that used to be a home or a bank, probably more so on some subconscious level than actively seeking that experience. There's a difference factor there compared to every suburban shopping mall or plaza they can experience back home. And when the prices are no longer truly outlet prices, it's not worth it.

Oddly, whenever we go to Freeport, we park in the lot down below next to the train station and stop in this plaza first (typically because we're heading to the LL Bean Outlet). Every. Single. Time. 😂

I have to wonder if anything could be done to fix it. I can't imagine the engineering of the parking garage below it ever considered adding more than one story of open-plaza retail on top.

Last edited:
New manager of a downtown Freeport shopping center looks to increase visibility

Forgot to post this when it happened - Freeport Village Station sold at the foreclosure auction for $20M (!) to Wilder Cos out of Boston. Some generic statements from Wilder about plans:

“Our goal is to unlock the full potential of this center by creating a lively shopping experience that appeals to the local community, visitors and tourists alike,”
“Embracing Maine culture while complementing the current amenities in Freeport will lead the charge in creating an immersive shopping experience that encourages people to stay longer and enjoy their time at the center.”
Goals include increasing visibility and increasing the reasons why people would want to take that step down from Main Street. Ideas include bringing in a gathering space. “It has great bones. It’s just time for a refreshed vision,” he said. Wilder and has team have begun discussions with the town, plan to meet with the general community and businesses, and are looking at steps such as creating more green space at the shopping center, exploring other retail operators that aren’t representing in Freeport, and converting some space to food, beverage and perhaps events such as music and poetry slams. There’s also an eye toward repurposing the former Nordica Theatre that’s part of the complex, perhaps for multipurpose use such as community and corporate events.

New manager of a downtown Freeport shopping center looks to increase visibility

Forgot to post this when it happened - Freeport Village Station sold at the foreclosure auction for $20M (!) to Wilder Cos out of Boston. Some generic statements from Wilder about plans:
Not one mention of the actual Freeport station in that article. They also seem to blame it being somewhat empty on the fact that it’s set back from Main st… I find that a little hard to believe. I think the new owners should focus on bringing in some bars and restaurants in addition to locally owned shops. Maybe even converting some areas to housing if it’s possibles.

Reactions: GIL
Community Center, artsy fartsy, etc = fail

Restaurants, bars & shops that people actually want = succes. And yes…buld some upscale townhomes/condos…they would sell like hot cakes!

Reactions: GIL

Back