Geekville, a new neighborhood for Boston

commuter guy

Reaction score
From boston.com:

LAWRENCE HARMON
Geekville, a new neighborhood for Boston
By Lawrence Harmon | January 26, 2010

IMAGINE THOUSANDS of young researchers and techies working in industry clusters and living in semi-communal housing along a South Boston waterfront transformed into downtown Geekville. That?s more or less what Mayor Thomas Menino had in mind during his recent inaugural address when he invoked the creation of a ?vibrant innovation district?? for Boston.

The 1,000-acre Seaport District in South Boston hasn?t morphed into the 24-hour neighborhood resplendent with shops, offices, entertainment, green space, and waterfront residences envisioned a decade ago in a city master plan.

The plan called for 6 million square feet of office space. Less than half that amount has been built. Residential development is more disappointing. Only 1,000 new units have risen of the 8,000 envisioned. Retail is the weakest sector of all. The plan called for 2 million square feet, but residents and visitors will find just 231,000 square feet in which to shop.

Menino says it?s time to end the fixation on condos and office towers. ?Think differently,?? he says, invoking the mantra of his fifth term.

Boston teems with well-educated workers in their 20s and 30s who work long hours in labs and science-based start-ups for short money. They can?t afford high rents for large, luxury apartments. But they?ve outgrown student hovels. Menino wants to create new housing for them on the South Boston waterfront within easy walking distance of the city-owned Marine Industrial Park, where he hopes to attract web developers, manufacturers of green products, pharmaceutical researchers, bio-tech, and other start-up businesses.

Administration officials insist that they don?t want to displace or discourage water-dependent businesses or more traditional manufacturers. But City Hall is definitely of a mind to reel in knowledge-based industries on the waterfront. And Menino thinks that university labs and satellite campuses will follow.

This plan reads like a chapter in ?The Rise of the Creative Class,?? a 2002 bestseller authored by Richard Florida. He argued that successful cities are shaped by an especially creative group of young engineers, artists, and scientists. Members of this creative class seek out each other?s company and are drawn to dynamic environments with plenty of public space and entertainment options. Florida?s theory gets pretty grandiose. But what city wouldn?t want to attract and retain such people?

The creative class in Boston needs a place to bed down. One of its own, Mitchell Weiss, just signed on as Menino?s new chief of staff with the charge to develop a stronger economic role for city government. Weiss, whose egghead credentials include Harvard Business School, sees a future for ?co-housing?? on the waterfront that meets the needs of highly-educated people living on small budgets. Such housing, he says, might offer turnkey Internet but shave overall costs by providing shared kitchen space.

?It?s not the next Beacon Hill,?? says Weiss. ?It?s linked to job clusters and a different kind of living style.??

It all makes sense to Jason Kelly, the 28-year-old founder of Ginkgo BioWorks, a start-up bioengineering company located in the Marine Industrial Park on the waterfront. His small staff of scientists doesn?t keep traditional hours or relish long commutes. A good neighborhood for them, he says, is one where people can stroll out their front doors on nights and weekends to check on experiments at work.

The model for Boston?s innovation district is a former industrial neighborhood in Barcelona, Spain that has been remade over the past decade into a lively hub, attracting thousands of new residents and hundreds of new companies. It?s called 22@Barcelona, a modern take-off on the city?s traditional 22a zoning designation for industrial areas. Technology centers bump up against new apartments in the 115-block district, which is lined with parks, restaurants and bike paths. The workforce is organized into ?innovation clusters,?? including zones for medical devices, energy efficiency, and information technology.

Barcelona landowners in the district are required to give up about a third of their property for public amenities, including parks, in return for permits to build additional stories and hook into district-wide heating and cooling systems. Boston officials hope to learn more about its inner workings in the coming weeks by striking a consulting deal with a former planner for 22@Barcelona.

Could such collectivism work in nippy Boston? Could developers get financing for co-housing or similar innovations? It?s still too ill-defined. But Menino may be on to something by promoting the waterfront to young scientists and programmers who are more invested in the construction of DNA strands than in water views and high ceilings.

Lawrence Harmon can be reached at harmon@globe.com.

I think that would be great! But didn't it used to be called Cambridge?

This is great! I didn't realize all we were missing was a brand new idea of what to do with the Seaport District! Thanks Mr Menino! Let's start building, tomorrow!

I think that would be great! But didn't it used to be called Cambridge?

Wait, I thought it was Kendall Square?

This 22@Barcelona thing - could it just be the 21st Century iteration of Corbu's Garden City?

I think of Davis Square as a Geekville, which could expand towards Union Square and other parts of Somerville when the Green Line arrives.

The Seaport District is too far away from Kendall and Harvard Squares to be a natural growth direction for Geekville. North Point makes more sense for this.

To bad Menino can't do anything at northpoint. Maybe cambridge can do that on its own. As dominant as menino is his powers only extend to the river. At least it actually is a new idea and as a young, "energy" professional this would be a good idea. Everything in Boston seems to be luxury or sh*t.

Once again, Menino's head, like his mouth, appears to be full of cotton. On the one hand, the city is condemning college students for -- gasp! -- renting apartments in Boston. One proposal to deal with this has been to declare swaths of the city off-limits as "affordable housing." On the other hand, Boss Menino wants to take the acres of lots in the Seaport that have thus far refused to bend to his mighty will and make them "InnovaLand" for tha smaht kids.

Rather than create special segments of the city for certain classes and types of people (which not only ghettoizes the people but also makes the residential, commercial and retail space highly dependent on a limited slice of the economy ... have we not learned anything about economic diversification?), the city needs to be friendly to new grads/workers, entrepreneurs and businesses in a holistic way.

As in...
-not redlining them out of areas you don't want them in (see the NEU brouhaha in Mission Hill)
-not having illiquid housing stock bifurcated, as choo said, into "luxury or sh*t" but having a large, liquid market allowing those transient young grads to easily find a place that's both nice and not luxury
-not betting the house that a single industry will prop up an entire neighborhood (what if the MIT kids suddenly think biotech is lame and really want to get into robotics but the Seaport as reimagineered by Tommy is geared overwhelmingly toward biotech lab space?)
-having a tax code that's at least competitive with most of the rest of the country
-not thwarting large new sources of residential supply because you're not best buds with the developer (see "The Arch") or because it casts a shadow (see "The State House")
-loosening up a bit on closing times for bars (even biotech/robotics nerds like to have beer after 2 AM), something the author of the op-ed, Lawrence Harmon, recently argued as well

Anyway, just a few thoughts. No need for theatrics, demonstration sites, special economic zones or whatever else. Just some sensible, no-cost, broad legislative changes. But since they also represent fairly large changes in mentality, I'm not too optimistic...

^ Wholeheartedly agree. You're arguing the methodology, if not the goals, of the Joel Kotkin side of the Joel Kotkin / Richard Florida debate, paraphrased as "let's concentrate on improving actual city services and maintaining value-adding industries" v. "let's do cool things to attract cool people even if their economic promise may only be theoretical".

But 'attract cool people' may be worthwhile anyway for non-economic quality-of-life reasons. Would you rather live in Somerville, or Everett? Lowell, or Lawrence? New Bedford, or Fall River? Providence, or Hartford?

Yet another example of how Menino seems to be all tactics and no strategy. Does the mayor's office have a consistent approach to any form of development or does it just throw ideas on the wall like spaghetti just to see which ones stick?

"Geekville" is a terrible idea. The approach we should take with the Seaport is development along the Vancouver model: build attractive residential neighborhood and the restaurants, theatres, hotels, offices, retail, etc. will follow. A very successful local application of this development model is the South End: residential gentrification followed by boutiques, galleries, restaurants, etc.

The Seaport should be developed primarily as a middle class residential neighborhood with a heavy bent toward the arts, leveraging the artist lofts along Congress and Ft. Point Channel. All the things that make for an interesting and vibrant neighborhood will follow.

I concur that Geekville's proper location is NorthPoint.

A few pics of 22@Barcelona (various sources, see URLs)

Media Center:

2009_Copper_in_Architecture_Awards_shortlist_yatzer_10.jpg

2009_Copper_in_Architecture_Awards_shortlist_yatzer_18.jpg

Skyline, and from the air:

22_barcelona_p2.jpg

2146388161_ac0804a563.jpg

And...
MUCH MORE - see in particular slide 35 which makes it clear that overall this is going to look a lot like the MIT campus, although with a better focus on public spaces.

Some scattered thoughts:

• I like that Menino admits the vision for the Seaport is an ongoing exercise. I'm glad he hasn't considered his work done yet. And as a vision, Geekville isn't bad. But it can go so many different ways. There's the suburban trajectory of Silicon Valley/Route 128. Then there's the more urban vision, which is why I'm glad they're looking at 22@Barcelona. The pictures I posted earlier, though, still make it look like some sort of glorified MIT campus with not especially small footprints. I'd argue that an even better paradigm for Geekville would be Tel Aviv - a vibrant and young urban innovation hub.
  • The Seaport isn't ruined yet, despite the existing construction. Yes, the hotels that are out there are pretty awful, but if Geekville - or whatever concept emerges - is successful, hotels would be needed anyway. Nothing much lost, except for One Marina Drive. Admit that the current model is a failure, and move on. Build around what's there and weave it together.
  • Cambridge vs. Boston - interesting debate. Is Menino ignoring the fact that there is another side of the river? I get the sense that he sometimes does, except when Harvard journeys over to Allston. I don't think the fact that Cambridge/Davis Sq exists is a reason to nix Seaport Geekville. But it does mean there needs to be some better Greater Boston coordination.
  • Transportation. Unless you want all of your innovators to have cars, they need something better than the airport/convention center shuttle bus that the Silver Line waterfront is. I'm not going to rehash HarborTram again, but seriously: the tunnels are there. Make it a light rail tram running through those tunnels that continues onto the Greenway and towards the Navy Yard. This is an absolute no-brainer. On the side, since the light rail couldn't run to the airport, institute a bus shuttle from South Station to the airport via a non-convoluted route. Put it right into the TWT - a 5 minute journey as opposed to the Silver Line's current 20+ minutes. Alas, I'm getting sidetracked.
  • Does Menino have the power to incentivize or in any way control what gets built on Massport parcels?

that a BIG ONE in middle of 22 piktura.
BUT. THIS Geke place gGOOD idea IF it have the subidize housing for YOUNGER ones so NOT living in Mom's basement (aka "the apartment" or "my krib" or beint the "condo') SO. It like big POSTGRAD campus for young oppeples so can stay hear aand give BIG brain powers to sity economies and SMART job forces

pss this being most EXCITING and make like big campuss and maybe having commumal things like art showings und continue educaation and make all look like art decos with BLADES of acromium and some signal TOWER with center plaza like quad only COOL but keosks with posters and multimedea things!!!! But aford able to live there if you are YOUNG like over 55PLACE in REVERSE so not some oldfolks home telling you you lazy and stupid and getting the job anfd then have time to think about how to makses the BETTER world but not slave to MAMMONS and not like GRAVEYARD OF DREAMS CAlled work.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with our tax code. Do you mean the state's or the city's?

Do you think Vancouver Model could work in Seaport Square and the rest of the unfilled parcels of the Seaport, save for Fan Pier, which I am praying they knock down One Marina Park Drive and the Federal Courthouse, and resurrect the original plans from the late 1980s, with a nice little canal? Would it also work along Fort Point Channel? And could we create a canal district in there as well?

Back