General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | Necco St.| Fort Point

Well since she's worded it that way, I agree. Those who create things are better than people who waste their energy trying to take things away, like her.

Also do these idiots not get that "maker" is a buzzword with the intentions of making skilled trades careers hip to young people? They're acting as if it's a euphemism for corporate suits. Which it is not.

Well since she's worded it that way, I agree. Those who create things are better than people who waste their energy trying to take things away, like her.

Also do these idiots not get that "maker" is a buzzword with the intentions of making skilled trades careers hip to young people? They're acting as if it's a euphemism for corporate suits. Which it is not.

Jouhou -- who appointed SKRISSEL as our moral guardian?

This what a woman 's voice that we might want to consider a bit more significant that Shirley's said in the notice of intent [my formatting]:

Uses and amenities at the facility will include:
  • office,
  • maker space
  • bistro-cafe,
  • cafeteria,
  • coffee bar,
  • museum,
  • convener space,
  • community co-work lounge,
  • and laboratory

per the Letter of Intent.

that's Ann Klee talking -- Senior VP and point person on the move

Maker Space is pretty vague it could be anything from the sort of space YouTube provides for YouTubers to make videos in to spaces for programmers to come and work together. At least thats what I thought of when I saw that.

I always understood "makerspace" to mean roughly the same as "workshop." It has some physical labor/building component to it as opposed to office work that is purely computer or paper based but not as highly technical or tightly controlled as a "laboratory".

I always understood "makerspace" to mean roughly the same as "workshop." It has some physical labor/building component to it as opposed to office work that is purely computer or paper based but not as highly technical or tightly controlled as a "laboratory".

"Maker space" typically has laser cutters, CNC machines, 3D printers, sometimes a kiln, woodworking equipment (saws, sanders, etc), robotics devices, etc... We're seeing them in new schools & libraries/community media centers that we've been doing lately. You design & prototype stuff in them. Sometimes architects like to call them "FabLabs" on the plans.

Yes. It's a modern amalgam of machine shop/wood shop/electronics fab/3D printers. A place to conceive/design/prototype stuff. At least that's how I hear it used.

Autodesk is building a Maker Space in the Marine Industrial Park on the first floor of the "Innovation and Design Building" which was the old Boston Design Center building. It's under construction right now.

https://pando.com/2015/03/30/with-a...wants-to-bring-manufacturing-back-to-cities/

I should have included these links to the Innovation and Design Building:
http://idbldg.com/

Twitter Feed for Autodesk "Build Space" which is the maker space component of their operations in the Innovation and Design Building.
https://twitter.com/buildspc

Yes. It's a modern amalgam of machine shop/wood shop/electronics fab/3D printers. A place to conceive/design/prototype stuff. At least that's how I hear it used.

BigPicture -- let's go back to the original GE LOI [with my bolding of maker space
Uses and amenities at the facility will include:
  • office,
  • maker space
  • bistro-cafe,
  • cafeteria,
  • coffee bar,
  • museum,
  • convener space,
  • community co-work lounge,
  • and laboratory

I think the distinction for GE between Maker Space and Laboratory is equivalent to the similarities / differences between -- Bistro-cafe and Cafeteria

Bistro-cafe is informal and open to the public
Cafeteria is GE-centric -- you can come in as a formal visitor
similarly

Maker space will be public-centric with some supervision
Labs -- you're not likely to see these from the inside unless you work for GE or are part of its keiretsu of customers and suppliers

Globe: Warehouse deal for GE’s future Boston site moves forward

Boston Globe said:
A deal to buy two old warehouses in Fort Point for General Electric’s future headquarters is moving forward, with construction work starting as early as this fall.

The board of MassDevelopment, the quasi-public economic development agency, on Thursday authorized the purchase of the six-story, 55,000-square-foot buildings at 5 and 6 Necco Court as well as an acre that would be set aside for open space. The board also authorized the agency to apply for up to $120 million in state grants to assist with the purchase and improvements of the property.

The two Necco buildings are part of the 2.5-acre section of Gillette’s Fort Point campus that GE has an agreement to buy for its future headquarters. MassDevelopment officials said that when that deal closes, the property will be subdivided in three sections: one acre that will be set aside for open space, roughly one half-acre where the two Necco buildings sit, and roughly one acre for GE to build a 293,000-square-foot structure.

At the time of the deal’s closing, which is expected to happen in September, MassDevelopment will take ownership of the open space parcel and the piece with the two existing Necco structures. GE will own the third parcel, where its new structure will go up, and will lease the two Necco buildings from MassDevelopment.

[...]

Looking at the new renderings can't post a pic but I'll say it's different

Looking at the new renderings can't post a pic but I'll say it's different

Boston -- that's the worst kind of a tease

At least tell us if the GE Logo will be "visible from Mars"

Yea Id rather not know than get a tease post haha. Unless you can describe without having to show pictures kind of what were looking at getting here and why its different. Does it look anything like the leaked render because I know they said that should not have leaked because it is not correct.

Ok I wont do it again, I've gotten in trouble in the past for posting before things were submitted to the BRA, so like the Back Bay garage someone else gets to post the renderings and will get all the glory. :(

Ok I wont do it again, I've gotten in trouble in the past for posting before things were submitted to the BRA, so like the Back Bay garage someone else gets to post the renderings and will get all the glory. :(

I for one like your teasers. Normally I'd think you were bs'ing us, but you were right on with the Back Bay garage.

Do you have any idea of when these renders might be made public?

Submitting on Monday so probably Tuesday?

Wow. It may not be visible from Mars, but I like it a lot. Bold but appropriate to the neighborhood and the context. It looks like it will provide great public amenities too. This should be a great win for the area.

Back