General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Again, Magic if you think GE's collapse is imminent short the stock and make a bundle of money, which you can then use to build affordable housing for the less fortunate. Neither of those actions however belong in this particular thread.

It was actually Bigpicture 7 comment concerning GE's flipping properties for profit model that enticed this conversation.

Sounds like the flip of this property might have (sadly) been one of the most effective business things GE has done in the past decade...

Lets have the moderator take on this?:smile:

There ain't going to be no Phase II so I edited the thread title.

Thanks to City Hall not being run by a bunch of Commie lunatics:
there will be a Phase 2!!

Same building w/ different sign/ same solar panels
but a new tenant--is my guess. :smile:

I am aware there will be something built on that parcel. My point was, whatever ends up being built there will have no relationship to this project and thus, not Phase II.

Indeed. But, i believe the massing stays, and the project rushes through as a minor, project change vs new Article 80 process.

What are the large blocks towards the foundation here? I assume it’s some type of flood prevention.

We've been walking by this project every Sunday for last 6 months or so on the way to brunch at either Flour or Tatte in the Seaport. I really love the character of the FortPoint area; and as a new transplant, I have no idea what those buildings were before but it's cool to see the new uses. It's also interesting to watch the Harbor Walk development come together in second image with new benches, flowers, piers, rowing, paddle boarding, etc which add to the unique character of the development and livability of the area.

D96E3D5F-BE13-499D-B290-1185D0521D58 by S S, on Flickr

78F383AC-52E3-477A-B90C-C7608977FE2E by S S, on Flickr

703A8CED-3A5C-45CC-9436-61DB3E0555A5 by S S, on Flickr

767E670F-97F9-4B0E-91FE-2D011B297757 by S S, on Flickr

We've been walking by this project every Sunday for last 6 months or so on the way to brunch at either Flour or Tatte in the Seaport. I really love the character of the FortPoint area; and as a new transplant, I have no idea what those buildings were before but it's cool to see the new uses. It's also interesting to watch the Harbor Walk development come together in second image with new benches, flowers, piers, rowing, paddle boarding, etc which add to the unique character of the development and livability of the area.

Candy factory circa 1900

The name of the street Necco --is the clue -- if you Google Necco you will find the history of a now defunct candy company who built the buildings over a number of years. Then moved to a brand-new mid 1920's industrial building on Mass Ave in Cambridge [now Novartis]. The final chapter of Necco was along Rt-1 in Revere in a recent industrial building -- closed this Spring after being sold for the brand names. Meanwhile the old buildings were purchased and used as part of the Gillette World Shaving HQ. Gillette consolidated into some newer industrial buildings before it was sold to Procter and Gamble.

Many of the other brick buildings in that corner between Summer St and A St. were part of the Wool Warehouse business and were until recently owned by the Boston Wharf Company [you can still see the BWC logo]. Now the area is going through a renaissance becoming the home of companies in information tech {Amazon, Red Hat] and soon bio/pharma [just getting ready to start construction].

Based on your guidance, I started googling candy history and came across Cambridge Confectioners Row. The fortpoint area seems ripe for a candy history museum between the children’s museum and fire station museum.

I don’t have kids but love candy and would go

Candy factory circa 1900

The name of the street Necco --is the clue -- if you Google Necco you will find the history of a now defunct candy company who built the buildings over a number of years. Then moved to a brand-new mid 1920's industrial building on Mass Ave in Cambridge [now Novartis]. The final chapter of Necco was along Rt-1 in Revere in a recent industrial building -- closed this Spring after being sold for the brand names. Meanwhile the old buildings were purchased and used as part of the Gillette World Shaving HQ. Gillette consolidated into some newer industrial buildings before it was sold to Procter and Gamble.

Many of the other brick buildings in that corner between Summer St and A St. were part of the Wool Warehouse business and were until recently owned by the Boston Wharf Company [you can still see the BWC logo]. Now the area is going through a renaissance becoming the home of companies in information tech {Amazon, Red Hat] and soon bio/pharma [just getting ready to start construction].

Beeline -- great portfolio of pix on the GE "Innovation Point"
Hope that name sticks even as the next lot over [the original tower with the logo visible from Mars] is already permitted and is going to go up big time soon and then there is the next lot [6 Acres of parking today] with Kendall Sq-scale development potential

Anyway -- I was there in August and it looked like a few more months of work -- your pix show a lot has been done in the past 6 weeks or so

Did you get a sense of how close GE's HQ is to being ready for occupancy -- the target was late this year for a grand opening of the renovated NECCO Buildings [back when there was going to be a tower also]

48771874542_f8e2831972_b.jpg
[

^^^ Testament to the adage 'that you can't successfully match old brick with new brick.'

I mean somehow they fixed this. I think they have a plan. Idk if they powerwash then stain or something.

Re: General Electric HQ (Phase 1 - Necco Buildings Reno) | 244-284 A Street | Fort Po

And this

Re: General Electric HQ (Phase 1 - Necco Buildings Reno) | 244-284 A Street | Fort Po

46063674315_7140172c7c_b.jpg

Theres lots of stuff that matches now that didnt before, I think they have some tricks up their sleeves for the finished product.

Back