General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

That was inevitable.

Tangent: One Financial doesn’t photograph well from any vantage point. Maybe the crew who re-did One Post Office Square could tackle One Financial now that they’re finally done.
I keep saying that it’s got the shape and the height to be an incredible building, but it’s trapped in unflattering horizontal striped pyjamas.

Visible from Mars! (Had to, for those that were around then...)

What is most striking about the GE/Boston-HQ flame-out is not that it ultimately happened, but extraordinariness of an over-the-top grand announcement (a la 'visible from mars') coupled with the company (one of the topmost industrial titans of America's history) immediately going down the toilet the second the ink dried on the deal. Really quite an impressive coupling of pomp-and-failure, hard to replicate even if another company tried.

It would have been better if they had placed their headquarters on part of the Riverworks in Lynn. However, that would have meant forgoing the sweet benefits Boston dropped in their lap.

The front cover on the lower section is off and the scaffolding is on its way down. More high quality brickwork facing the channel, but details around the windows remain.

The main sunken window frames also add a nice copper/rust effect when viewed from an extreme angle (see right side of the las picture). Coming along nicely!

95E5C319-8399-4E11-B2B0-35E3BE3E9D0B.jpeg
8F18A95D-93C4-4D20-9456-5FCFD10BE801.jpeg
5A00A517-40FF-4654-8014-328EB5120730.jpeg
580423F3-D349-4D2E-907C-5320ACE64ABB.jpeg

At first I thought that this building was too busy looking but I’m starting to like it now. It definitely says “Look at me”.

The front cover on the lower section is off and the scaffolding is on its way down. More high quality brickwork facing the channel, but details around the windows remain.

The main sunken window frames also add a nice copper/rust effect when viewed from an extreme angle (see right side of the las picture). Coming along nicely!

View attachment 34145View attachment 34146View attachment 34147View attachment 34148

Great pics - Thread is here: https://archboston.com/community/threads/eli-lilly-igm-15-necco-street-fort-point.5924/

It would have been better if they had placed their headquarters on part of the Riverworks in Lynn. However, that would have meant forgoing the sweet benefits Boston dropped in their lap.

What? Boston/MA made out like a bandit on GE's fail. If Boston/MA could pull that kind of poison pill deal on every company, it should do it exactly the same. Whoever at City Hall/Statehouse negotiated that deal was an ace.

What? Boston/MA made out like a bandit on GE's fail. If Boston/MA could pull that kind of poison pill deal on every company, it should do it exactly the same. Whoever at City Hall/Statehouse negotiated that deal was an ace.

Yup - all the benefits, none of the costs (handouts) and more jobs through Vernova without needing to pay them a dime. Boston/MA won GE (and won Amazon too). HQs are overrated.

Yup - all the benefits, none of the costs (handouts) and more jobs through Vernova without needing to pay them a dime. Boston/MA won GE (and won Amazon too). HQs are overrated.
Feds should just pass a law saying no discretionary tax breaks should be in place to private enterprises (eg charging one project less than others), and no public ownership of sports teams

Stupid to give out handouts.

And as usual, graffiti has invited itself in on the temporary green fence!! Hah!! o_O

.......not only that, but it's now a leaner, meaner growth company in a few future oriented niches. Watch them actually EXPAND in a few years somewhere in that Ft Point area. Ebbs and Flows......

Today's Globe:

GE’s profit beats Wall Street’s expectations as CEO’s turnaround takes hold
By Ryan Beene Bloomberg,Updated April 25, 2023, 45 minutes ago

"....... Free cash flow — a closely watched measure of earnings power — was $102 million in the first quarter, significantly better than the $731.5 million outflow that analysts expected in the period, typically GE’s weakest based on the seasonality of its businesses. GE said it was the first time in nearly a decade it generated positive free cash flow in the first quarter. " (bold emphasis mine)

There's a lot more data points in there, but suffice to say (and after the past few years, I cannot believe I'm saying this, but) GE may be a tremendous growth opportunity after hitting its nadir and may be a very nice source of more future growth in he Seaport/Ft Point area.

Last edited:

Back