General MBTA Discussion Thread

stefal

Reaction score
Interesting to note the shuttle replacement for Red Line Service on the weekends essentially has the Red-Blue Connection we've all been asking for.

1574108200541.png

Though it's only in one direction, and not the direction I would prefer. Getting off the shuttle ASAP coming from Kendall for subway service would be nice, but they just added the stop for riders coming from Broadway. Their reasoning makes partial sense, though, since there's no stop at Park.

Lrfox

Reaction score
An entry for the minor grievance department:

I commute from Davis and have noticed an annoying trend with the "next train" signs over the past month or so. Recently, as one train is boarding or just pulling out, the "next" train will say 2 minutes away (which I assume is where the countdown starts when a train is released from Alewife). It'll stay that way for a few minutes, then revert back to "Stopped 1 stop away." This morning, I was coming down the stairs at 7:58 as one train was pulling out. The next train was "2 minutes away" according to the sign. It stayed that way until 8:01, then switched to "Stopped one stop away." It pulled into at Davis at 8:05. This isn't a one off, it's the norm now. It wasn't the case when they started the "stopped XX stops away" signage.

Cue the groans, but I often commute in with my girlfriend, and in recent months (with the delays/crowding after the derailment) we'll occasionally jump on the Alewife bound train and switch to an inbound train there if the platform is crowded at Davis. It ensures we get a seat together and we end up one train behind at worse (often catch the next train anyway). So we would have done that today if we knew it would actually be 7 minutes instead of 2. While I don't expect the T to take into account the very specific complaints and very unimportant wants of a single couple, I don't think it's crazy to want signs to be a bit more accurate than that. Now that I've wasted way too many keystrokes on the issue, I'll <>end rant<>

FK4

Reaction score
An entry for the minor grievance department:

I commute from Davis and have noticed an annoying trend with the "next train" signs over the past month or so. Recently, as one train is boarding or just pulling out, the "next" train will say 2 minutes away (which I assume is where the countdown starts when a train is released from Alewife). It'll stay that way for a few minutes, then revert back to "Stopped 1 stop away." This morning, I was coming down the stairs at 7:58 as one train was pulling out. The next train was "2 minutes away" according to the sign. It stayed that way until 8:01, then switched to "Stopped one stop away." It pulled into at Davis at 8:05. This isn't a one off, it's the norm now. It wasn't the case when they started the "stopped XX stops away" signage.

Cue the groans, but I often commute in with my girlfriend, and in recent months (with the delays/crowding after the derailment) we'll occasionally jump on the Alewife bound train and switch to an inbound train there if the platform is crowded at Davis. It ensures we get a seat together and we end up one train behind at worse (often catch the next train anyway). So we would have done that today if we knew it would actually be 7 minutes instead of 2. While I don't expect the T to take into account the very specific complaints and very unimportant wants of a single couple, I don't think it's crazy to want signs to be a bit more accurate than that. Now that I've wasted way too many keystrokes on the issue, I'll <>end rant<>
I noticed this same problem today at Charles Station. One train left as I arrived, the sign said the next train was also in "2 min" and it took several minutes to arrive. It's highly annoying and if they're going to employ this technology, they need to get it right.

Lrfox

Reaction score
I noticed this same problem today at Charles Station. One train left as I arrived, the sign said the next train was also in "2 min" and it took several minutes to arrive. It's highly annoying and if they're going to employ this technology, they need to get it right.
They do. I wonder if it's still that they're not 100% recovered from the debacle back in June. I thought work was supposed to be finished on that, but maybe not? For me, it's an annoyance and an inconvenience. For someone who has to make what should be an easy bus or commuter rail connection, the train that say's it's 2 minutes away when it's actually 7-10 minutes away can be the difference between making the connection or waiting 20 minutes to an hour + for the next one.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
OK, parallel rant. Why the usage of "Stopped two (or whatever) stops away". Is the T actually telling us they don't have a schedule for dispatching that stopped train? Are they incapable of doing the basic math of 1) scheduled dispatch time is x minutes from now plus 2) normal travel time to given stop is y minutes, so 3) approximate next train is x + y minutes?

Did the entire MBTA flunk grade school math?

HenryAlan

Reaction score
They do. I wonder if it's still that they're not 100% recovered from the debacle back in June. I thought work was supposed to be finished on that, but maybe not? For me, it's an annoyance and an inconvenience. For someone who has to make what should be an easy bus or commuter rail connection, the train that say's it's 2 minutes away when it's actually 7-10 minutes away can be the difference between making the connection or waiting 20 minutes to an hour + for the next one.
I don't think it's related to June, as I see this now and then on the Orange Line, too. In fact Michelle Wu tweeted about this the other day. I think it is caused by a train failing to communicate with the tracking system, so the system assumes it is still at the last reported station (2 minutes away).

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
The trains they used in the renderings for the new Winchester Station are way too optimistic...

jass

Reaction score
Why is Winchester getting elevators if it already has ramps?

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
Why is Winchester getting elevators if it already has ramps?
Because the current Winchester station is literally falling apart and MBTA specs demand at least two accessible paths of entry into all rebuilt stations, ideally at least one that is non-elevator based to provide redundancy for failure. And obviously it will be getting high level platforms which further raise the height of the station, and I'm not even certain the current ramps are modern ADA/MAAB compliant because they have really long slopes with no flat rest areas...

F-Line to Dudley

Reaction score
Because the current Winchester station is literally falling apart and MBTA specs demand at least two accessible paths of entry into all rebuilt stations, ideally at least one that is non-elevator based to provide redundancy for failure. And obviously it will be getting high level platforms which further raise the height of the station, and I'm not even certain the current ramps are modern ADA/MAAB compliant because they have really long slopes with no flat rest areas...
Per the design report, both current ramps fail to meet accessibility guidelines for allowable slope. The reconstructed outbound-side ramp will be retrofitted into full compliance, but the inbound-side one can't be made all the way compliant due to structural limitations (I'm guessing no room to make long enough as the other side). Therefore they have no choice but to augment with elevators.

tysmith95

Reaction score
Why do they need to build a new Winchester station if there is one a quarter mile up the street?

F-Line to Dudley

Reaction score
Why do they need to build a new Winchester station if there is one a quarter mile up the street?
Wedgemere is far and away the weaker-ridership of the two. In a consolidation scenario Wedgemere is the one that would go and Winch Ctr. is the one that would stay.

Wedgemere is 100% accessible with mini-high but the track approaches don't allow for a gauntlet track like Winchester is getting, so it can never be raised to full-high. Closure might have to be a casualty of RUR service, so all service may well get consolidated to Winchester in the next decade making this accessibility money well-spent.