General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

I'm with them on this.

From the Globe:
Handout_08Tbillboard_02_met.jpg

That's just not necessary.

Hang those screens on the walls inside the station and leave the signs alone.

I'm with them on this.

From the Globe:
Handout_08Tbillboard_02_met.jpg

That's just not necessary.

Hang those screens on the walls inside the station and leave the signs alone.
What's your rationale? There's nothing historical about the Arlington Station sign. Unless the actual sign is listed on the National Registry of Historical Places, then tell these NIMBYs to take a hike.

I for one don't need to be bombarded with advertising walking by Arlington Station.

What's your rationale? There's nothing historical about the Arlington Station sign. Unless the actual sign is listed on the National Registry of Historical Places, then tell these NIMBYs to take a hike.

I couldn't care less if it's on the National Registry of Historical Places or not. Designations like that mean nothing to me. What matters is that the TV screens are tacky af and don't fit the aesthetic.

My concerns aren't about "preserving history" as much as they are about good design. The Cambridge Seven MBTA signage is good design and good branding. "ARLINGTON" and "TO ALL TRAINS" in simple black, green, and white is a classy look. The flatscreens broadcasting Dunkin Donuts ads are not. It's easy as that...

You guys are weak sauce on this one...

First off, the historic church across the street had a sign that read "God is a Patriots Fan." If the church can get with the times, then so can the T.

Second, not everyone has a cell phone. Some are visiting from overseas and they don't have data.

I actually like the idea of above-ground signage (assuming that the advertising will alternate with train information). Maybe not the most necessary at Arlington, but for example at Porter it's nice to know how much one needs to hustle for the next train.

Here's a clip from Wikipedia.org on the future of the Ashmont / Mattapan Line;

"On several occasions, the MBTA has proposed to replace the PCC streetcars either with newer trolleys or with buses, and has met with substantial community opposition on each occasion. The FY2017-FY2021 Capital Investment Plan, approved by the MassDOT board in June 2016, allocated $9 million to the line including $3.7 million for maintaining the PCC cars. The plan also allocates $5 million for "PCC Car Replacement-Alternative Service" which will be used for future funding should an alternate form of transportation be decided upon.[16] In 2017, MBTA began a $7.9 million project to overhaul the trollies and update the propulsion systems, but further problems such as fluctuations in power damaged the four operating trains in early 2018.[17][18] On February 5, 2018 it was reported that eight more trollies were going to re-enter service in 2019, the fixes will prolong the lifespan of the trains by another 7 to 8 years.[19] The MBTA also announced that it is studying alternatives again to running trolleys, draft recommendations are planned to be completed by the Spring." :cool:

So is that 5 million dollars just going to sit in the bank? Is it going to be used to pay for "studies". I'm confused.

Here's a clip from Wikipedia.org on the future of the Ashmont / Mattapan Line;

"On several occasions, the MBTA has proposed to replace the PCC streetcars either with newer trolleys or with buses, and has met with substantial community opposition on each occasion. The FY2017-FY2021 Capital Investment Plan, approved by the MassDOT board in June 2016, allocated $9 million to the line including $3.7 million for maintaining the PCC cars. The plan also allocates $5 million for "PCC Car Replacement-Alternative Service" which will be used for future funding should an alternate form of transportation be decided upon.[16] In 2017, MBTA began a $7.9 million project to overhaul the trollies and update the propulsion systems, but further problems such as fluctuations in power damaged the four operating trains in early 2018.[17][18] On February 5, 2018 it was reported that eight more trollies were going to re-enter service in 2019, the fixes will prolong the lifespan of the trains by another 7 to 8 years.[19] The MBTA also announced that it is studying alternatives again to running trolleys, draft recommendations are planned to be completed by the Spring." :cool:

Which is... everything we have already discussed here?

I knew that they thought about updating repairing the trolleys. But I did not think that they'd be around & in use for another 7 - 8 years.

Second, not everyone has a cell phone. Some are visiting from overseas and they don't have data.

Every-time I go somewhere without data I download the area that i'm visiting in advance. I wouldn't travel without G-Maps information.

Not only that. Pay phones are almost & pretty much a thing of the past now. You hardly see one around nowadays! :rolleyes:

Pretty epic Red Line failure at Andrew today. Looks like a motor blew causing smoke along with windows to blow out on the train and possibly track damage. They are still running Shuttle buses between Andrew and JFK with Severe delays as of 3:45pm and have been since 9:30am.

Pretty epic Red Line failure at Andrew today. Looks like a motor blew causing smoke along with windows to blow out on the train and possibly track damage. They are still running Shuttle buses between Andrew and JFK with Severe delays as of 3:45pm and have been since 9:30am.

MBTA now reporting that 300 feet of third rail was damaged.

It has been said that the MBTA has gone by the wayside as far as preventive maintenance is concerned.

I think that they let things manifest into a monster & is not keeping things up to date & in good working order. Every winter since '15, this shit happens!! There is just no excuse for it!! :mad:

Back