Getting Around On Foot by Neighborhood

Paletexan

Reaction score
Just finished year two of Boston living and really enjoying the walkability of the city. I put together a walking map of SOWA / South End and am so impressed at what I have been able to do by foot compared to southeastern cities.

Was playing with a map and thought this might be the only place anyone would remotely care. Apple & Google have this data, but I would love to see how other neighborhoods are for walking?

A - Eye Doctor
B - Pharmacy
C- Grocery
D - Primary & Specialty Healthcare
E - Day spa (Not a regular, but had a gift card)
F - Dentist
G - Bakery
H - Coffee
I - Basketball Court
J - Tennis Court

790E0928-B889-4FAF-8F92-4943E1192F0D.jpeg

Last edited:
The South End is probably equally walkable from any single spot within the district, but that can't be said for every single Boston neighborhood. Most neighborhoods have at least some sections in which all of that is accessible on foot. I live no further than five blocks from anything on your list, for example. But there are other sections of Roslindale that are far less walkable.

Just finished year two of Boston living and really enjoying the walkability of the city. I put together a walking map of SOWA / South End and am so impressed at what I have been able to do by foot compared to southeastern cities.

Was playing with a map and thought this might be the only place anyone would remotely care. Apple & Google have this data, but I would love to see how other neighborhoods are for walking?

A - Eye Doctor
B - Pharmacy
C- Grocery
D - Primary & Specialty Healthcare
E - Day spa (Not a regular, but had a gift card)
F - Dentist
G - Bakery
H - Coffee
I - Basketball Court
J - Tennis Court
In Southie, you can hit almost all of that in roughly 2 blocks on East Broadway - the SB Family Dental just west of I St., then, heading east in order, Indulge Spa, Wink Eyecare, Deja Brew, Walgreens, Stop and Shop, and Joseph's is a block south off K St. on E. 4th. The Health Center is on West Broadway about 12-14 minutes away from that. For the courts you admittedly have to head further afield - there's a basketball court at M St. (Medal of Honor) Park but for tennis you're heading either to the rink or Moakley. Still, not all that bad, and the variety of stores on the Broadways is decent as well (I miss Jones').

Allston--especially Allston Village-- is pretty great for walkability in terms of convenience and proximity to stuff both within and outside the neighborhood. Probably partly explains why 23% of commuters there go on foot, with another ~7% on bike.

When I lived there, I was within a 10 minute walk of:
  • the Green Line (B)
  • multiple frequent bus routes (57 + 66)
  • 2 grocery stores (Star Market & BFresh, though RIP to the latter)
  • at least 3 coffee shops (Caffe Nero, Pavement, Starbucks)
  • 2 CVS stores and a 7/11
  • 2 or 3 bodegas
  • 2 bakeries (including 1 just across the Brookline border--Clear Flour)
  • Probably 30+ restaurants, including some of the best concentration of Chinese and Korean food anywhere in Boston
  • 2 or 3 liquor stores
  • 2 bike shops
  • 5-10 bars
  • 2-3 dentist/doctor offices
  • 1 McDonalds
Honestly the biggest drawbacks were lack of good parks (though there are a few just across the Brookline border that I would take advantage of like Coolidge Park) and the fact that both Comm Ave and Brighton Ave are super wide and generally loud and unpleasant to cross, especially Comm. Also the Pike. Lack of frequent crossings sucks.

Lower Allston is not quite as convenient, though the area around Barry's Corner and the Western Ave corridor generally are getting better. Franklin St is also pretty great and one of the biggest bike corridors in the entire city.

Allston certainly has its downsides and it can get a bad rap given the large student population but if you're looking for a place where you can walk to everything you need (provided you don't have any individual mobility issues, though sadly you could probably say that about all of Boston), then Allston is a pretty good spot.

Last edited:
Surprised to not see this map included in this thread. Walkscore uses this methodology:
Walk Score measures the walkability of any address using a patented system. For each address, Walk Score analyzes hundreds of walking routes to nearby amenities. Points are awarded based on the distance to amenities in each category. Amenities within a 5 minute walk (.25 miles) are given maximum points. A decay function is used to give points to more distant amenities, with no points given after a 30 minute walk.

Walk Score also measures pedestrian friendliness by analyzing population density and road metrics such as block length and intersection density. Data sources include Google, Factual, Great Schools, Open Street Map, the U.S. Census, Localeze, and places added by the Walk Score user community.
They give raw number scores and color coded maps. Overall Boston has a score of 82 (third in the country behind NYC and San Fran) and is generally very walkable. There are exceptions though: the clearest being large parts of Mattapan (a few blocks east and west of Blue Hill ave), Readville, Hype Park (across the Neponset and near the dedham line) Roslindale (near poplar st), the Woodbine part of Forest Hills, Moss Hill in JP, South Dorchester, Colombia Point, Widett Circle, the eastern part of the Seaport, Orient Heights, the Harvard owned areas in Alston, the Parts of Brighton near newton.

Interestingly this map seems to show a few different things (and some that fit in multiple of these categories) namely the parts of the city that are more suburban in density and transit options (the parts of West Roxbury, Roslindale, JP, Brighton and dorchester, that aren't walkable along with Readville and Orient heights), industrial areas (Widett Circle/south bay, eastern seaport, Readville, Charlestown by the water and around Sullivan square, and along the Chelsea creek in East Boston), and some food deserts/deprived communities (Mattapan, the BHA in Orient Heights which is the worst in the area, Colombia Point, Roslindale near Forest Hills, the scattered areas of poor walkability in Roxbury, and parts of Hyde Park/Readville)

Some targeted improvements in infrastructure could go a long way in a few of these such as pedestrian connections/staircases/ramps between Woodruff way and River street near the Gallivan Community Center, up the hill at back of the hill, through/around Oak Lawn Cemetery, a track crossing or two between Ukraine Way and Blakemore St, and through Harvard and BC campuses. Some of these areas need expanded access to grocery stores and other services throughout the neighborhood, which cant really be solved with simple infrastructure shifts but does need creative solutions.

There are also transit and bike scores.

Last edited:

Back