Going to Chicago, looking for recommendations

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Hey all, I'll be doing a five night vacation in Chicago at the end of the month and would love to get some recommendations on good spots for food. Also activities and things to see, but I've been to Chicago a good number of times before so I don't need too much help there whereas I don't know the food scene at all. This goes for both the old school ethnic stuff as well as the newer more hipster-y establishments. High quality food is a must, tasty food is a must, and I don't mind if it gets a bit pricey as long as it's truly good stuff.

For instance, years ago Beton Brut recommended Atwood and I enjoyed that very much and will almost certainly be going back there.

Or on the activity side, Vanshnookenraggen recommended getting cocktails at the restaurant on top of the John Hancock since it's cheaper than paying for tickets to the observation deck. Also he recommended spending some time at the beaches along Lake Shore Drive.

The movie nerd in me has to do a John Hughes rich-northern-suburbs tour. As corny as it may sound, I gotta see the Home Alone house with my own two eyes, plus the church, plus the Uncle Buck house, plus downtown Wilmette, etc etc

Oh and the river architectural tour........ that one goes without saying, DUH :p

I only have 2 restaurant recommendations - The Girl & The Goat and Alinea. The Girl & the Goat is reasonably priced ala carte creative plates, Alinea is a 3 star with a tasting menu - though very pricy it was excellent. As Chicago does have a Michelin guide, just about anything off of it will be excellent. Greektown was also great when I visited, but I have no specific places to recommend. Bakeries, if you are into pastry, try Mindy's, Loaf, or Loba. That said, a hack for good food relatively cheaply is to visit the Kendall College dining room - it's run by culinary students so it can apparently be somewhat inconsistent but the food was excellent when I was brought there.
on the activity side, Vanshnookenraggen recommended getting cocktails at the restaurant on top of the John Hancock since it's cheaper than paying for tickets to the observation deck. Also he recommended spending some time at the beaches along Lake Shore Drive.
Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware the signature room has since closed, and I'm not aware of another hack yet, though if it's been a few years TILT might be a interesting experience.

I only did it once pre COVID, but I believe the intercontinental on Michigan has a free self guided tour of its property, and as always the Chicago cultural center is also stunning.

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware the signature room has since closed, and I'm not aware of another hack yet, though if it's been a few years TILT might be a interesting experience.

DAMN IT

Just visited Chicago for the first time a few weekends ago and really enjoyed. Inadvertently ate half my meals with the same restaurant group, One Off Hospitality (as featured on The Bear almost a suspicious amount). The chicken dish at The Publican might've been my favorite meal.

Hey all, I'll be doing a five night vacation in Chicago at the end of the month and would love to get some recommendations on good spots for food. Also activities and things to see, but I've been to Chicago a good number of times before so I don't need too much help there whereas I don't know the food scene at all. This goes for both the old school ethnic stuff as well as the newer more hipster-y establishments. High quality food is a must, tasty food is a must, and I don't mind if it gets a bit pricey as long as it's truly good stuff.

For instance, years ago Beton Brut recommended Atwood and I enjoyed that very much and will almost certainly be going back there.

Or on the activity side, Vanshnookenraggen recommended getting cocktails at the restaurant on top of the John Hancock since it's cheaper than paying for tickets to the observation deck. Also he recommended spending some time at the beaches along Lake Shore Drive.

The movie nerd in me has to do a John Hughes rich-northern-suburbs tour. As corny as it may sound, I gotta see the Home Alone house with my own two eyes, plus the church, plus the Uncle Buck house, plus downtown Wilmette, etc etc

Oh and the river architectural tour........ that one goes without saying, DUH :p
I had a good breakfast at Ann Sather in Lake View, lots of Scandinavian options on the menu. For lunch in the Loop, I enjoyed the atmosphere and german food at the Berghoff.

Back