Government Center Redesign

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
I think that is just a demonstration of what it can do. I doubt it will be full Joseph's Dreamcoat every night.
The City's announcement confirmed your assertion. More subtle lighting most nights. Full bore capabilities in theme appropriate colors to celebrate special events.

CSTH

Reaction score
Anyone have an example where we'll-executed bright white up-lighting has brought new life to a brutalist exterior? I feel like there's a recent example on the 'tip of my tongue' but I can't nail it down...

statler

Reaction score
The Government Center Station landscaping is much larger then I was expecting. It takes up a huge chunk of the plaza.

stefal

Reaction score
I'd like to see Accordia's Winthrop Square building at govt center.. perhaps scaled down a bit.

West

Reaction score
Very interesting massing. However, there's lots of shallow tunnels under the plaza, not just the main green line extending on towards Haymarket, but the Brattle Loop too. Putting towers there would be nearly as daunting as over the Pike.

Whenever I play the mental game of "fill in the plaza with buildings" I think it's worth trying to skirt the tunnels. The resultant new streetscape would reveal the Brattle Loop and main Green Line branch for all to see, and would avoid some serious unnecessary foundation costs.

odurandina

Reaction score
^^Fantastic posts. No one wanted to steal his thunder and start talking about trusses, but maybe arches would support a great public space below something very tall.... if you incorporate 1-3 Center Plaza, there's a great opportunity to build a significant modernistic/deco to match the area, and step up for a couple of skyscrapers rising above a new Scollay Square.

So much to dream of.