GREAT NEIGHBORHOODS: BOSTON

P

Patrick

Once dubbed ?The Hub of the Universe,? Boston has long been the hub of all things American. A stroll along the Freedom Trail, one of this compact and walkable city?s attractions, reveals Boston?s prominent role in the American Revolution. Today, a new revolution has become apparent. Modern Boston is Boston is an ever-changing blend of compact neighborhoods, dramatically distinct communities and world-class cultural attractions, all surrounded by acres of urban parkland. From afar, the city's two most notable landmarks are 20th century structures?the retro 1950s-styled, 52-story Prudential Center and the shimmering mirrored, 60-story, John Hancock Tower.

But up close, Boston's history, dating back to the 1600s, is revealed by the Old North Church in the North End, the cobblestone streets of Beacon Hill and the now-decommissioned Navy Yard on the Charlestown waterfront.

The diversity and vibrancy of its different enclaves gives Boston the reputation as "a city of neighborhoods." While you can get an authentic old world Italian meal in the North End, enjoy soul food in Roxbury and visit a real Irish pub in South Boston, it's still a walking city where no neighborhood is far from another.

The neighborhoods also vary dramatically in housing prices. The median housing price for Boston is $440,000 for a modest single-family home, but a multi-level townhouse on Louisburg Square in Beacon Hill, the most expensive street in the city can set you back several million dollars. More down to earth, but still upscale, are the South End, Back Bay and Fenway neighborhoods. And the less expensive "streetcar suburbs," that are still part of the city, include Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park and Allston.

Apartments can be found in all of the city's neighborhoods, but again, location plays a heavy role in determining price. In the city's core?neighborhoods such as the South End and Back Bay?apartments start at $1,800 a month and go up (sometimes, way up) from there. Cheaper apartments can be found in other neighborhoods, such as Roxbury, East Boston, or Mission Hill, but monthly rents lower than $1,000 are few and far between.

Bostonians are famously proud of their city and a brief tour of the funky The South End, the family-friendly Dorchester neighborhoods, hip suburban Somerville and archetypically New England Sharon, show why.

MORE DETAILS OF # Dorchester # Sharon # Somerville AND # The South End can be found at this website: http://moving.move.com/Cities/boston/boston.asp?gate=aolcompuserve&source=a9951&poe=homestore

Re: ...

Merper said:
suburban somerville?

Somerville is a suburb of Boston, right? I think thats all they meant, but undoubtedly it is an urban suburb.

I don't think of the Pru as a "1950s-style" building, not at all. Do you?

Ron Newman said:

I think of it as a 60's/70's style building personally
i'd say the Hancock is more 90's style if i had to place it in a decade

Ron Newman said:

I often am surprised to see what year certain 'modern-looking' buildings were built. For instance, the modern office towers in my own city were built in the 1980s, but they don't look like everything else from that decade: bright and obnoxious. I think the architectural trends of the 20th century in no way paralleled the fashion or pop culture trends, making it hard to buy sometimes when you realize what decade or year a structure was completed. Anyone know when the modern era began in terms of architecture (as in modern, post-modern etc..)?

I think the Pru is a classic (although not attractive) example of late 1950s style. Some "googie" space-age overtones, and a fussy repetitive pattern; a sort of mini mannerist period after the high modernism that ruled for most of that decade. I tend to think of 60s/70s architecture as having a slightly more simplified, brutalist aesthetic to them.

The Socony-Mobil building would fit the fomer category
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=115527

Whereas the MetLife/ PanAm would probably be the marker of transition to the latter
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=114533

Back